Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
buying new gun >

buying new gun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

buying new gun

Old 07-30-2010, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get yourself a dedicated slug gun: H&R, Savage, etc.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

I have a 12ga slug gun and a 50 cal ML. From my experience, my advice to you would be to buy a TC Omega or Triumph ML. My reasons are for ones already mentioned- cost and accuracy.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Just remember Smokepole’s are a pain in the a$$.
A LOT of maintenance, especially if its going to be your “go to” deer gun.
I suggest you purchase the 1000 pack of cleaning patches, you will spend more time cleaning than shooting.
I use a smoke pole in IL, and I only use it during the Muzzleloader only season.
I use the T/C Omega, it shoots great, but its takes a lot more responsibility to keep it accurate.
IL is a shotgun only state, if there was a option to use pistol rounds in a rifle “ I would be all over it”
If you don’t reload, I would invest in a quality slug gun.
I have had the need for second follow up shots, I’ll admit to that. I guess I am not the marksman like everyone else is on these forums.

bb
Old 07-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

The avg slug gun vs. avg rifle in accuracy is no comparison.

I'd say most slugs avg. 5" groups at 100yds maybe more. Sure of late they seem to be improving from what I read...but I'd take a solid build rifle any day over a slug gun.

We should poll it, if you could hunt with a .270win or 12ga slug, limited to a factory build rifle/shotgun, what would you choose? for deer....out of a 100 hunters I'd be surprised if more than 5 hunters picked a 12ga slug.

Many factory rifles out of the box can shoot sub-MOA, there isn't a slug gun out there that can do that probably, even a $3k custom...tarhunt slug gun.

But it's more of a management tool, big slow bullet, hits the ground faster than a rifle, which is why there are slug states vs. rifles states, also avoids guys from taking 500yd shots who have no business doing so, ie wounding deer etc...

I'm just not a fan of slugs, give me a rifle or bow any day.

I forget what these new slugs weight, I think the lighter ones are 300-385grs...If states said you could shoot a .375H&H or larger caliber vs. a slug gun, I'd be hunting deer with a 375 here in IL.

I know some states(IN) are allowing pistol cartridges in rifles for deer hunting, I'm pretty sure this is due to trajectory too. If that's the only basis they should make legal .375 or .416+ rifle calibers...might make more sense then rifles chambered in pistol cartridges??

I think that Savage 220F is the way to go though if you're going the slug route, 20ga slugs, I want one actually, but we'll see, I really only bowhunt IL these days, so what's the point.

Slugs are expensive, sabots, I think $4-5/shell?? I don't think any pistol ammo comes close to that.

IN should just allow something like the .338 Federal... I know with all regs it seems guys are gonna try to find ways around it, and if a state listed ALL legal cartridges handloaders/wildcatters would be up in arms, maybe? but they could just list ALL legal rifle cartridges...and pick ones without super long trajectories...

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Why do you say slug guns are "horrible"?

Last edited by salukipv1; 07-30-2010 at 09:50 AM.