Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Glocks & Reloads... >

Glocks & Reloads...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Glocks & Reloads...

Old 07-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Glocks & Reloads...

I have heard from more than one source about bad experiences shooting reloads through the Glock pistols and any other pistol where the cartridge is not supported 100 % in the chamber.

Anyone here have any experience in this area? Comments?

Thanks.

Last edited by Antler Eater; 07-13-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Glock 23 never failed to digest anything.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glock says not to use reloads and it will void your warranty. Yes, they have an unsupported chamber and have had kabooms especially in the 40SW which is typically loaded nearer its max pressure than other rounds.

I do reload for my G23. I simply don't expect my brass to last forever, I toss it or lose it after 4-5 reloads. I also shoot what basically amounts to starting loads with any powder I shoot. When I am plinking I am happy as long as the gun cycles and POI is close enough. The only time I care about power is self defense and I'll be shooting factory ammo then anyways. I guess Glock would say I'm taking a risk, it's your decision to make for yourself.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

All it takes is to spend some time adjusting that tapered crimp die, it does take some experimenting sometimes..once it works smooth lock it down!! Most guys just don't take the time to adjust the dies..it's totally different than all centerfire rifles..it takes some experimenting but theres no other difference..
Old 07-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are aftermarket barrels available that will support the case much better than the factory barrel.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

my glock has never failed me even with reloads
Old 07-13-2010, 07:30 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Antler Eater
I have heard from more than one source about bad experiences shooting reloads through the Glock pistols and any other pistol where the cartridge is not supported 100 % in the chamber.

Anyone here have and experience in this area? Comments?

Thanks.
Great article on this in handloader this month. Brian Pierce addresses it. But I can't take any chances. I bought an aftermarket Barsto barrel.

Glock kabooms are real and has hurt folks.

Just because all these posters say they never had an issue doens't mean it couldn't.

Its not the gun failing but the brass. I have had some unsettling bulges with 40S&W brass due to the unsupported case. I like to shoot my pistol brass 10-20 times.

Bottom line is, I bought a new barrel.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's not recommended. You should also never run a lead bullet through it. If you want to shoot reloads or lead bullets I'd get a aftermarket barrel to be sure. There's been to many kABOOMS TO TAKE A CHANCE
Old 07-16-2010, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

What other gun makers in the hand gun world make a chamber where the cartridge is not supported in a "traditional" way?
Old 07-16-2010, 05:49 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Antler Eater
What other gun makers in the hand gun world make a chamber where the cartridge is not supported in a "traditional" way?
I don't know of any, but also don't know of any that does poly rifling like glock either. But with all that said, glock is a leader. They are designed around combat use, reliable feeding second to none, and overall toughness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.