Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
mmm what to buy what to buy >

mmm what to buy what to buy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mmm what to buy what to buy

Old 07-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default mmm what to buy what to buy

We had a trip planned in early aug for florida and it might be getting canceled. Mom and dad had an unexpected bill pop up so it might get pushed till this spring.

I have been saving cash to pay my half and have some spending money so if it falls through I think I am going to pick up a new gun. Not like I need one but hey why not.

Going to have about 1200 bucks for the gun maybe alittle more if I find a good deal or something that warrants the extra money.
I am leaning toward a rifle as I have a glock and there are only to other pistols I would really want right now. One a s&w 357 as I want a rev in my collection, or a beretta mp as I love the looks of the gun and want one.

I am leaning toward an AR either .223 or 308. Target shooting out to maybe 300 yards. I like the idea of the .308 for hunting if I go to Ky or another high power state. Though the .223 is cheaper so kind of split on which.

so any thoughts or anything you would recommend in place of the AR or the pistols?
Old 07-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

What other guns do you have and what kind of hunting do you do?
Old 07-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go for the AR15. I bought mine this past spring and Im really having fun with it.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a glock 21 45acp, ruger 10/22, mossberg 500 28 inch smoothbore, and a TC triumph 50 cal muzzy. I hunt mainly deer want to get into bird hunting but have yet to find a local to go with and not sure it is something I want to tackle myself. I want to get into turkey hopefully this fall. We have some nice turkeys around here and ok numbers. I deer hunt with my bow was going to go with a rifled semi shotgun but opted for the 50cal muzzy for range and knockdown vs a 12ga scooped.

I plan on doing some hunting in Ky or other states. SO I like the idea of the 308 though I am going to check ammo price vs the .223. I know if I get into hunting high power I will end up going to a higher end rifle vs the ar but would be perfectly happy with the AR
Old 07-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

Id pick up a nice used bolt rifle in something like .270 win or 25-06, maybe even .243. All are great deer rounds and the .270 and .243 ammo are readily available ( more so the .270 win). Any of these are plenty of gun for any deer that walks.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

my concern is that indiana is not a highpower state. So I do not want to focus just on hunting. More on target shooting, another gun for the collection, something that is fun at shooting, will do close up 25 yard to mid range 300 max I would say, then something that is always in my mine when buying a gun god forbid how hard or easy will it be to use it for home defense and how does it relate to my other guns. Like I do not want to buy another handgun for home defense when I have the glock, not sure I need a HD shotgun since I have the mossberg and it will be going to a Hd gun with the 18 inch barrel and a collapsible or pistol grip stock. My worry with the ar in 308 is it will cost to much to shoot compared to the .223 but again god forbid I need it for defense the 308 will be better for that.

My though for the 308 ar for defense is our business. We bought a local moduler/mobile home moving business. The guy who owns the land it was on wants to get a few moduler and mobiles and start selling them. The place is out of town and there have been issues with theft and vandalism before. The previous owner had someone come in and steal alum siding off a 5000 trailer that end up in the scrap pile because of the damage. SO my mom and dad are looking at setting up a moduler home for a office/ residents and me moving out there. Again god forbid if something happen it would likely be outside with some distance. SO the Ar in 308 would be the thing for that. We have a meth problem and people walking in homes with people home is not uncommon. Though I don't want to look at it like I want a home defense gun just a new toy to play with that would be ok for home defense. If it was a home defense only gun it would be a easy decision.
Originally Posted by podunk kennels
Id pick up a nice used bolt rifle in something like .270 win or 25-06, maybe even .243. All are great deer rounds and the .270 and .243 ammo are readily available ( more so the .270 win). Any of these are plenty of gun for any deer that walks.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

$1200?? You have plenty of guns?? I would go for a nice pair of Swarovski binoculars. You will have them for life, and never be sorry you own them. You should be able to pick up a nice pair of used ones for that. Tom.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:12 AM
Typical Buck

Your Mossberg will handle all the home defense problems youll ever have.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:24 AM
Spike

savage .308 w/ accutrigger!!
Old 07-09-2010, 03:25 AM
Fork Horn

How about a Remington R-25 in 7mm/08 !! Now that would be a treat that will keep on giving and sooner or later we'll be using them for big game all over the USA.. i also see that they are now making the R-15 in 450 socom..but I don't think it'll reach out like the 7mm/08...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.