Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
The most felt recoil >

The most felt recoil

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The most felt recoil

Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was shooting my "new" 1957 ithaca37 feather wt this morning. I had some problems w/ jams, using some federal target loads, the other day, at the trap range, so I brought a bunch of different loads w/ me, to see if they jammmed as well. Shot some Wolf power slugs (like breneke), some rem sluggers, and some old s&b buckshot, all 2&3/4. The recoil wasnt too bad at all, although the buckshot did knock me back a bit. I was very happy w/ the way the old gun shot, no jams (must have been the federal ammo), and I was able to hit the top of a paper plate @ 25 yds, w/ all the slugs, aiming at the center, not too bad for shooting off hand, and plenty accurate for short range work.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

I have never shot anything bigger than say a 300 weatherby mag or 338 mag but I like alot on here got " WRAPPED" the hardest by a Rem 870 slug gun with 3 1/2" mag slugs. It litterely felt like I took a straight right between the eyes. My eyes watered after the shot. What a tooth rattler. It wasn't my gun because it would not have shot those EVER again.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

I got a new thumbhole Mossberg 535 turkey gun this year. 22" barrel and a synthetic stock. LIGHT GUN! The kick isn't in my shoulder, but in my face. Half a box of 3 1/2" Winchester Supremes put a bruise on my cheek that made it look like I'd been in a bar fight. I've shot guns that were uncomfortable, but this is the first one that actually hurt to shoot! Since then, I got a higher set of sights and I don't have to stick my cheek bone quite as tight against the stock. That made all the difference in the world! Now it only kinda hurts... but it still hurts the turkeys more

rw
Old 07-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

Many years ago I bought a Brazilian made 12 gauge single shot shotgun on sale for $30. The gun was a real crippler and I am talking about the shooter, not the game. I have long since gotten rid of this very poorly designed weapon and pity whoever has it now.

I am surprised by all the people on this thread that are getting really punished by 12 gauge shotguns from reputable makers like Remington and Ithaca. I own a Remington SP-10 Magnum semi-auto 10 gauge shotgun and regularly shoot 3.5 inch magnum 2 1/4 oz. turkey loads and 1 3/4 oz. rifled slugs with it and have never been hurt by that gun even if I shoot it all day. It could be that the gun's hefty weight of 11 pounds and semi-auto action take some of the jolt out of the recoil when firing 3.5 inch magnums.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 12ga shotshell recoil, even the heavy stuff doesnt bother me much while hunting, or target shooting, but shooting sabot slugs from the bench is torture. I gave up on em, and now use my muzzleloader, where centerfire rifles are restricted.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Spike

Marlin 45-70 with Buffalo Bore ammo off a bench. Punches pretty well, leaves me wanting more....
Old 07-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

45-70 gov from H&R buffalo gun.
Mossberg 500 12ga with no limb saver butt pad and 3" Hornady Slugs (2100 fps)

My favorite recoil is an old Springfield 30-06. It has a nice comfortable push that feels like a shoulder massage.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

I got a great deal on a ten inch(non ported) Encore pistol barrel in 444 Marlin once. After a few rounds, I realized exactly why it was a "great deal". It made my 45/70 ported Contender barrel feel like a wussycat!!
Old 07-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

3 1/2 " Magnum Turkey Load out of my Mossberg 835. I shoot the same thing every year for turkeys and I hate patterning it now as much as ever if not more. It's not as much the blow to the shoulder as it is the punch to my cheekbone resting on the stock. My face is always red after 3 shots. And after 3 shots I am done until I am actually hunting and a longbeard steps out in front of me, then it's his turn to have his bell rung.

Last edited by 4evrhtn; 07-09-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
3 1/2 " Magnum Turkey Load out of my Mossberg 835. I shoot the same thing every year for turkeys and I hate patterning it now as much as ever if not more. It's not as much the blow to the shoulder as it is the punch to my cheekbone resting on the stock. My face is always red after 3 shots. And after 3 shots I am done until I am actually hunting and a longbeard steps out in front of me, then it's his turn to have his bell rung.

X 2...That punch to the cheek with a 3 1/2 turkey load from my 835 feels like a grown man punched me in the face. I hate patterning mine too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.