Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Lever Gun Hunters >

Lever Gun Hunters

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Lever Gun Hunters

Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I have 2. An old Win 94 in .30-30 that I haven't hunted with yet. But my out and out favorite is my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in .45-70. I haven't shot a deer with it yet but I have taken 3 black bear - one shot each. Its short, light and packs a punch. (I do have the older model with the ported barrel)
Yea I am just hoping that the 1895 is in good shape when I get to the shop. My first one came in last week and when I opened the box the stock was broke and the action was horrible. Never should have made past any quality control workers. Really love Marlins but if this one is just as bad then I will send it back and hold out for the upcoming Henry 45-70.
Tuck
Old 12-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Proud owner of a Marlin 336C lever gun in .35 Rem.

Iron sights, of course.

Perfect for medium to large game when hunting in tight cover.

Got plenty of scoped boltguns when hunting open areas..........................
Old 12-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Proud owner of a Marlin 336C lever gun in .35 Rem.

Iron sights, of course.

Perfect for medium to large game when hunting in tight cover.
I love my 336. Got to take it out for the first time a few years ago and somehow I dropped it from about the treestand (the 1st time out with it) and the stock cracked on it. I was sick as it was an old one from my grandfather. It is the older style with the end cap instead of the loop over the barrel on the forearm. Would love to find a nice set of laminate to put on it but am not having any luck with that so far. Was able to glue the stock back together and it works fine but it really swells in the rain.
Tuck
Old 12-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Spike

My dad has a model 99 300 savage, I plan on hunting with it, when i hunt a state that allows rifles.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sluggunhunter
My dad has a model 99 300 savage, I plan on hunting with it, when i hunt a state that allows rifles.
That is a neat rifle in a good caliber.I always liked the 99 wish i had bought one when they were in production.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

Just this fall I picked up an old (1952) Marlin 336 in .35 Remington at an estate sale. Rifle shows lots of honest wear marks, and has a neat little Williams peep sight. Loaded up with 200 grain Hornady Leverevolutions it shoots tight little groups at reasonable ranges. I hunted with it one day and took two young doe and then let my brother use it the rest of the season (his rifle was stolen) and he managed to take two nice doe with it. Was very pleased to get a old war horse back in the woods taking deer again.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
IMO bolt guns are a more practical choice than lever actions, they are easier to clean and maintain,
Not true. What are you doing that makes it hard?

easier to sight in,
I didn't have a problem here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMD-xFuMm0U

theyre generally more accurate,
How accurate do you need it to be?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFQM9N6wQko

shoot farther, tubular magazines and the ammo youre resticted to sucks,
You can singly load any bullet type you want.

many lever guns dont come in stainless, and hardly any come in a synthetic stock, which makes them less weather resistant,
In 30+ years I haven't had a problem with the weather.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlX3I8PoRP4

Lever actions are very cool, and they are defiantly a better choice than say a slug gun or a SKS, but they simply cant compete w/ most modern bolt actions.
I can out-shoot just about everyone I've ever met with mine.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Marlin 336 in 30-30 with a Vortex Viper 2-7X 32mm on it. I have taken deer and javelina with it. I really like the Leverevolution ammo in this rifle. It is a tack driver out to 100 yards, which is 95% of my shots.

I also have a BLR in 243 with an old Redfield Widefield 3-9X 40mm that the kids use for deer. I have also taken deer with a BLR in 308 that is now my BIL's.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:35 AM
Spike

Well I went in yesterday to look at the 2nd Marlin 1895GBL that was sent to the shop and I was pleasantly surprised. This one was in really good shape. THe laminate looked a lot better on this one (the last one looked like someone had taken sandpaper to it and it was broke) and the action was a lot smoother. The only thing that I noticed was when I loaded it up. After putting the first bullet in I could not push the 2nd one in without having to catch the rim of the first bullet and pushing it forward a little. I am sure this is something that I can work on. Everything else seemed to be in order with it. Hopefully Remington is starting to get their act together on these guns and will not let the good name of Marlin be run into the ground. I do believe I am going to run it by the gunsmith and have him smooth everything out on it just to get it as smooth as possible.
Tuck
Old 12-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

1895 is great for sneaking through the twigs or sitting and waiting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.