Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Breaking in a barrel? >

Breaking in a barrel?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Breaking in a barrel?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Breaking in a barrel?

I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 308. It has a bull barrel and I have put about 35 rounds through it but I am not seeing the results I would like. I have a steady rest and I'm using good ammo. I was wondering how many shots you think it would take to "break in" the barrel?

Thanks guys
Old 06-28-2010, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

what was your procedure for break in
Old 06-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

is it hand lapped?. in a previous post.... RR said it doesnt matter unless it is.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

No it is not hand lapped, and honestly all I have done for break in is shooting it. I need to do something to break it in.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

There are varying opinions on "barrel break in". Personally Ive never "broken in" a barrel. I practice with my rifles often and shoot them plenty and clean them well after every shooting or hunting trip. If your barrel fouls or shows signs of being rough maybe the Tubbs barrel polishing system would help. First I would recommend trying different loads. Some rifles dont like certain ammo despite its quality. Also try having the trigger adjusted and if that doesnt work make sure the stock is free floated. If so try adding a buisiness card in the barrel channel to add pressure on the barrel. All of these things will help improve accuracy. Remember KISS Keep It Simple Stupid. Always check the easiest thing first.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:11 PM
bigcountry

I highly recommend never using tubbs final finish kit. I ruined a good barrel with it. I viewed it before and after with hawkeye borescope and it rounded over all my rifling.

But if you insist on using it, I will sell the kit to someone on here.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

No experience with that particular product, just suggesting it as an option. If bigcountry says it doesnt work I believe him. I still highly recommend trying more loads before worrying about your barrel though.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Already 35 rounds through it...a "break in procedure" isn't going to help. Clean her real good and try some more ammo...
Old 06-29-2010, 07:54 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
No experience with that particular product, just suggesting it as an option. If bigcountry says it doesnt work I believe him. I still highly recommend trying more loads before worrying about your barrel though.
Some people swear by it. Even had a comment from tubbs himself saying I did something wrong. Maybe too hot a load. But I can't afford another 350 dollar mistake like that.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

Ive heard mixed reviews on the issue also BC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.