Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
cheap rem 700's from dicks warning >

cheap rem 700's from dicks warning

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

cheap rem 700's from dicks warning

Old 06-25-2010, 06:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
well, I don't think anyone here would have turned down the deal I got. He bought the rifle (22-250) new for $479. And sold it to me for $400 which included $220 in ammo. So, I have a new rifle that shoots dead on for actually $180. My 15 yo shot it off the bench yesterday at 325 yards and had a 4" group 4"'s high with a pos remington scope. To me, this gun was worth it all day long even at the original price. But the 308 he bought was a totally different story. Thats why I posted this warning....
I'd jump on that all day long and twice on Sunday.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

i have the Dick's SPS varmint in 22-250...

it is a SHOOTER...

yes the stock is cheesy...and the scope mounts are garbage (mine were stripped from the factory as well)

that doesnt matter...i got a brand new m700 that shoots for a very good price...stock can be changed and you'd never know it was a "cheap gun" and its a m700 action...parts and accessories can be had easily.....

i havent heard of any that didnt shoot great...and i know a handful of guys with the same rifle as me....i bought new rings and bases immediately...then put a VX II 6-18x40 AOT on it...

best shot to date is a 350yd headshot on a groundhog...
Old 06-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mauser06
i have the Dick's SPS varmint in 22-250...

it is a SHOOTER...

yes the stock is cheesy...and the scope mounts are garbage (mine were stripped from the factory as well)

that doesnt matter...i got a brand new m700 that shoots for a very good price...stock can be changed and you'd never know it was a "cheap gun" and its a m700 action...parts and accessories can be had easily.....

i havent heard of any that didnt shoot great...and i know a handful of guys with the same rifle as me....i bought new rings and bases immediately...then put a VX II 6-18x40 AOT on it...

best shot to date is a 350yd headshot on a groundhog...
My prairie dog shootin buddy has that same rifle with the crappy Remington scope and green plastic stock (plastic strap too) on it. He's been shootin it for 3 years now and its a killer. It will shoot with my VSSFII all day.

IMHO opinion the word "cheap" is a warning in itself.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
IMHO opinion the word "cheap" is a warning in itself.
"Cheap" and "inexpensive" are often two completely different issues!
Old 06-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

Well, I am going to stretch this gun out as far as I can just to see what it does. I think far to often people get way to wrapped up in "optics".. how long my scope last, I don't know. but when it's time to replace the scope I might up grade a little bit but I doubt it will be over 150-200 scope.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

I don't see the issue here, flimsy stocks can be replaced, as well as crappy scopes, bases and rings, the 700 action in any variation is a solid platform and one that is very easy to customize due to widely available parts and accessories, nothing "cheap" about it at all.