HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Ultimate Tactical Shotun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/324597-ultimate-tactical-shotun.html)

RemyFan 06-15-2010 10:44 PM

Ultimate Tactical Shotun

If you could only have one tactical shotgun for your home wich one would you pick? Im going to b purchasing one soon and was wondering what a couple good options would be...and why you would choose it...and also how you would set it up.

Chuck R. 06-16-2010 06:32 PM

"Ultimate" is very subjective, but this works for me:

Benelli M1S90, with Insight M3X Tactical light (125 Lumens), loaded with FED #1 Buck (HORN OO TAP on the stock) stored in a V-Line long gun vault.

Chuck

RemyFan 06-17-2010 02:38 PM

That baby's sweeeeet! How much tho? Benelli's are one of my favorite shotguns but you sure do hafta pay for wutya get....I was thinkin bouta mossberg 500 spx but it looks like you cant mount a light onit....?

Chuck R. 06-18-2010 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by RemyFan (Post 3637046)
That baby's sweeeeet! How much tho? Benelli's are one of my favorite shotguns but you sure do hafta pay for wutya get....I was thinkin bouta mossberg 500 spx but it looks like you cant mount a light onit....?

I paid $950 for the Benelli, and another $180 for the light and rail.

What I use is a magazine tube mounted rail, and a standard pistol light like the Insight M3X or the Surefire X300 or any of the Streamlight offerings.

The rails aren’t that expensive and they give you some flexibility when compared to a dedicated forearm light like the Surfire. This combo is also a heck of a lot lighter as lights weigh less than 4ozs. You can quickly remove the light for practice to save wear and tear. I own 4 of these lights (Surefire X300, Surefire X200B, Insight M3X and M3) which I can swap between weapons as needed. I keep one mounted on the Benelli, a Colt 6920, and my SIG 220ST. Should a light go down, I can swap to whatever gun needs one, and the controls are basically the same.

I’ve also seen guys mount a piece of rail directly to their forearm, rather than screw with an extra mount. This would keep the controls at your finger tips when using a pump.

Chuck

podunk kennels 06-18-2010 06:19 AM

I prefer a pump to an auto loader myself, for numerous reasons. They are usually cheaper, not finicky about cycling certain loads and much easier to clear if they jam. A Remington 870 retails for around $300, dump another $200 into it and youll have a fine personal defense gun for less than a benelli or beretta. Just my opinion.

MO Archer 06-18-2010 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by podunk kennels (Post 3637186)
I prefer a pump to an auto loader myself, for numerous reasons. They are usually cheaper, not finicky about cycling certain loads and much easier to clear if they jam. A Remington 870 retails for around $300, dump another $200 into it and youll have a fine personal defense gun for less than a benelli or beretta. Just my opinion.

And 870s are the best sounding pump action I have heard.

adam11082 06-18-2010 10:52 AM

Mine would be an old 870 wingmaster police with a nice wood stock and none of that tacticool crap hanging off it.

podunk kennels 06-18-2010 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by adam11082 (Post 3637256)
Mine would be an old 870 wingmaster police with a nice wood stock and none of that tacticool crap hanging off it.

+1 , My guns were cool before tacticool was cool. Plus old school hardwood makes for a better butt stroke.