Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Opinions  about shooting reloads >

Opinions about shooting reloads

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions about shooting reloads

Old 06-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

good call chuck....

you just simply never know...and, although ammo is pricey and cheap/free ammo would be great to have, its not worth the risk at all IMO...

even if you broke them down and weighed the charges, whose to say there isnt different charges and/or different powder types in different cases??? and how is anyone going to ID the powder???? 45gr of 2 different powders can mean a gun that shoots GREAT and a gun that blows apart...

just no way of knowing whats truly in those cases....

like was said, they sound like they came from a good source...but, mistakes happen....over the years different ammo could got mixed in the marked bags etc etc...

corelokts and power points can still be had pretty reasonably for pretty inexpensive ammo to burn on the range...and if your gun blows up from that, you got a company to blame...
Old 06-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Mauser,
I don't know half as much about guns as most of you do ..the reason why I only come to this forum if I have an important question.I figure you guys are passionate about guns and must know alot..I was warned over 3 differnt guys on this thread to leave the reloads alone..so I am..

Now if it's about God or Fishing..I'll debate with you all..but guns..nah..I live in the city so I only go to the range about twice a year..Most of you guys live and breathe guns.. LOL

I deer hunted alot as a child so Il;earned to shoot real good but I don't know all the stats about guns as most of you do..I sited my 270 2inches above the bull's eye at 100 yds...and do plan to try some other NEW 130 grain bullets.To be honest..I'm a decent shot..but I got a much better group from my 336 Marlin at 100yds than my new 270 ..The Marlin put all 3 in the red...at 100yds..the 270 with 30.00 Silver Tips..only gave me a 2 1/2 " circle...which in my book stinks with the reputation the 270 has..As far as shooting..I came in first place in my battalian..I know how to site and squeeze the trigger..[ -;

I do beleive the scope that came with it stinks so I'm in the process of buying one I tried out..it's a Barska ..totally awesome

Last edited by Chuck7; 06-05-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of scope do you have on there now? I'd get something a little better than a Barska if it was me.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Dominant Buck

The present scope is a Remington that came with the rifle...
Old 06-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your thread in the scope section has a bunch of great suggestions. Most of them much better than the Barska. The only ones I'd pick the Barska over would be a Leupold VX-I or Rifleman. I probably wouldn't get a Redfield either. However, I think you can do much better with a Burris, Vortex, Sightron, Bushnell 4200, etc.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

How about the Nikon 6310 Pro ...Walmart online 159.00

3 x 9 ..40

Old 06-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Nikon Pro Staffs are decent. I'd get one over a Barska, but I still wouldn't buy one. You can get a lot better scope in a Burris Fullfield II or Vortex Diamondback for not much more. Do you not like Burris or Vortex?

You should read the optics talk review thread. They talk about a Barska and a Prostaff compared with the Burris and Vortex.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats the thing about shooting factory ammo...you either "settle" for how a particular load shoots...or you spend money on more different loads/brands etc and see/hope something shoots better...i shoot alot..and own a gun or 2...best thing i ever did was start loading my own...

i cant help much with scope in the lower range...im a Leupold guy myself...

but i'd say "on a budget" the BEST option would be to watch ebay and find a used vari-x II or VX-II...deals can be found...and a used one in the 3-9x40 will run 250 or less..typically 225 or less..i can almost always find a nice clean one for 225 or so...thats what i'd personally do...and if something is wrong or goes wrong, Leupold WILL make it right...cant say that about many other companies...

i learned a VERY hard lesson to learn about cheap scopes...long story short, i wounded and lost 2 deer and completely missed another all in the same season due to a junk scope...sure good scope can fail too...but, they are made much better, and are much clearer and brighter...

even my III series Leupold is noticably brighter than the II's...personally id buy a used II before a I or rifleman series....

1 good scope will last a VERY long time...and in the end will save headaches and frustration...and once you look through GOOD glass, its hard to go back...i wish both my VX IIs were IIIs after buying my first III...the IIs are great and more than good enough...but my III is just a bitttt brighter and clearer...which i didnt think was possible after using IIs for 10 years..but my new ones are all likely to be IIIs now..but, wont get rid of the IIs...great glass

but, i swallowed that season and learned a very tough lesson...and now wont skimp on glass...only gun that doesnt wear a Leupold is my 22lr and thats just because i dont use it a ton and havent gotten around to buying a good scope for it...and really, no recoil on a 22 so you can get away with a low end scope on them usually...
Old 06-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I know about good glass [-; ..I'm a birder..and went from Bushnelle 59.00 optics to 350.00 Leupold Green Ring 10 x 42..Those are awesome birding binoculars..I plan to get a good scope..been reading tons of reviews..The 159.00 Nikons have no bad reviews and I've read alot of reviews..I still want to pick one up physically rather than by mail order..i 'm planning a trip to Bass pro.

Thanks Guys,
C7
Old 06-06-2010, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chuck7
I know about good glass [-; ..I'm a birder..and went from Bushnelle 59.00 optics to 350.00 Leupold Green Ring 10 x 42..Those are awesome birding binoculars..I plan to get a good scope..been reading tons of reviews..The 159.00 Nikons have no bad reviews and I've read alot of reviews..I still want to pick one up physically rather than by mail order..i 'm planning a trip to Bass pro.

Thanks Guys,
C7
Did you read the optics talk write up? It's not a bad review because they aren't a bad scope. Yet there are others in that price range that have better glass. Either way the Nikon Prostaff isn't at all a bad scope. It's just not the best quality glass you can get in that price range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.