Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Opinions  about shooting reloads >

Opinions about shooting reloads

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions about shooting reloads

Old 06-04-2010, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I live on the edge of life I guess, because with the bags being labeled I'd probably first measure COAL and if they measured correct for the cartridge, I'd fire them while checking for any sign of pressure as I go.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Howler
I live on the edge of life I guess, because with the bags being labeled I'd probably first measure COAL and if they measured correct for the cartridge, I'd fire them while checking for any sign of pressure as I go.
Hey at least the guy who loaded them actually marked on the bags what they were and how they were loaded. Didn't overload them. I'd break one or two down maybe just to confirm his data. Then I'd jump out on the edge with Howler.

See ya in two weeks TR.........
Old 06-04-2010, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
Hey at least the guy who loaded them actually marked on the bags what they were and how they were loaded. Didn't overload them. I'd break one or two down maybe just to confirm his data. Then I'd jump out on the edge with Howler.

See ya in two weeks TR.........

How would you guys make these measurements?? COAL means nothing. Either the cartridge will chamber. Or it will not. If it chambers then COAL is meaningless. How would you know what kind of powder it is?? Your best guess?? Shells in a bag?? When was the last time you put shells in a bag?? I put mine in a well protected plastic box?? I am amazed at the unsafe practices you guys are saying is worth the chance. But ha-the bag has writing on it--certainly that makes it safe?? Are you serious??

No doubt. The ammo is probably fine. I would say 99% of the time or more the ammo will be fine. But that does not make it safe to take that 1% chance. It really is that simple. If a shooter is so hard up that he has to take that chance, then he really should stay home and not shoot.

Sometimes I am just amazed at some of the advice that is given. Take a couple apart and check them?? What on earth does that mean?? Do you think the OP has reloading experience?? Unbelievable.

If the OP has reloading experience then it is simple. Pull the bullet, size the case if necessary and use new powder. That would be the cheapest way to be safe, and save the components. But if the OP does not have reloading experience then how do you suggest he checks how they were loaded??

I can not believe a moderator has not jumped in on this one.

This is basic reloading 101 stuff. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 06-04-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
How would you guys make these measurements?? COAL means nothing. Either the cartridge will chamber. Or it will not. If it chambers then COAL is meaningless. How would you know what kind of powder it is?? Your best guess?? Shells in a bag?? When was the last time you put shells in a bag?? I put mine in a well protected plastic box?? I am amazed at the unsafe practices you guys are saying is worth the chance. But ha-the bag has writing on it--certainly that makes it safe?? Are you serious??

No doubt. The ammo is probably fine. I would say 99% of the time or more the ammo will be fine. But that does not make it safe to take that 1% chance. It really is that simple. If a shooter is so hard up that he has to take that chance, then he really should stay home and not shoot.

Sometimes I am just amazed at some of the advice that is given. Take a couple apart and check them?? What on earth does that mean?? Do you think the OP has reloading experience?? Unbelievable.

If the OP has reloading experience then it is simple. Pull the bullet, size the case if necessary and use new powder. That would be the cheapest way to be safe, and save the components. But if the OP does not have reloading experience then how do you suggest he checks how they were loaded??

I can not believe a moderator has not jumped in on this one.

This is basic reloading 101 stuff. Tom.
It wasn't advise ...in was in response to what I would do. Nothing more.

I certainly glad we have you to save the day. I am quite sure I could figure a way to not waste much of it.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry you do not like it. But dangerous advice is dangerous advice. No matter how you try to sugar coat it. And your advice is dangerous. Tom.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey Fellows

I went to the range today..what a head ache..My son and I could not hit the entire 2 foot target..I took the rifle to my local gunshop..He found the problem..loose front mount..I went back to the range. finally sited it in.
I used new silver tip 130 grains to site it in..A marine runs the range..He said if I doubted the reloads I can dump them in his iron drum but he personall would fire them..I'm going to hold on to them for a while before makingmy decision..The man who gave them to me is a gun collector and very good friend.He's also my personal gunsmith..He is excellent.

His dad was an advid hunter and done the reloading

Guys I truly appreciate all the advice...I also go by my 6th sense..{ -;

Last edited by Chuck7; 06-04-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

ya'll are nervous bunch. If you are in doubt, pull a bullet, weigh the powder charge, if it is what it says, shoot them and enjoy.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I reload, and wouldn't consider shooting another persons reloads unless I knew them well and had a VERY trusting relationship with them. But even then, the first few shots would be performed by firing the rifle from my old tire set up. I mount the rifle in a 2X6 clamp rig I made and mount that in a tire with a chunk of 3/4" plywood over the rifle, pull the trigger with a string from about 15' behind the rig. I place a piece of paper over the action to possibly mark signs of escaping gas. I developed this habit when had my FFL and was acquiring many old military relics. I needed to know if the guns fired, if they were blowing gas from the actions, and if they would funtion. If the first few rounds went off without apparent issues on the paper and the brass showed no signs of excessive headspace issues I would then fire 2 rounds from the hip before holding to the cheek. After that, with no issues, I would hold to the cheek. BUT, I did this with my ownn, known ammo. Excellent eye protection is of course needed AT ALL TIMES. Even when firing from the tire jig.

I know this sounds like something that warrants a raised eye, but my grandfather was a gunsmith, and this procedure is what he always did when he acquired undocumented rifles. He performed this religiously unless he had great knowledge that the rifle was safe. That said, he was using his own ammo.

Firing another persons handloads is always an iffy event, and as such it should be considered with caution, even if you believe the person to be competent and trustworthy.

I have made mistakes in loading. Fortunately none of the mistakes were of a dangerous nature. But dangerous mistakes are possible with anyone, even a seasoned and responsible handloader. And I never let anyone fire handloads of mine unless I've fired considerable rounds of a batch myself and know the other person's rifle to be in fine working condition. I feel the same about firing other folks handrolls.

Chuck7, I would have popped a few of the bullets out and weighed the charges, weighed the bullets, and then fired a few in a tire jig or other safety device as mentioned, BUT ONLY IF THE WEIGHED CHARGES AND BULLET WEIGHTS SEEMED TO MATCH.

Glad you had no issues with the loads. And I suggest you get into loading. It is very rewarding. Fun too.

At least you now have a batch of brass!
Old 06-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I didn't shoot any of the reloads..The bullets I fired today were all store bought..

Federals and Winchester Silver Tips...I'm about 95% on leavinmg the reloads alone..My friend has a whole lot of Mausers,,,he buys lots of reloads and old ammo..We have shot hundreds of rounds from his Mausers..the bad bullets simply won't shoot. In the Army we were taught to leave the misfired round in there for 1 mnute..tthen remove carefully.

Summary..I plan to throw the reloads away ..into the big iron container at the range..I'm not much of a risk taker...not only that ,,most of them are 110 grain and I shoot 130 grain bullets.I like to keep practicing with the round I plan to hunt with..
you guys on here helped me make up my mind to throw them away.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

I'd pull and salvage the bullets/cases and primers. Scatter the powder on your lawn and water good..be amaized at to what the nitrates will do! Been loading for 50+ years, only oops was a unknown load in a combat masterpiece....still have the halves of the cylinder.....you got it, some one elses loads!
Just my dos centavos worth.....
Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.