Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Barrel Break-in, Yes or BS >

Barrel Break-in, Yes or BS

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: Barrel Break-in Procedure, Yes or BS
Yes, Its works
56.76%
No, It doesn't work
40.54%
Yes, but only on custom barrels
2.70%
Yes, but only on factory barrels
0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Barrel Break-in, Yes or BS

Old 05-20-2010, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Barrel Break-in, Yes or BS

Whats your thoughts on barrel break-in procedure.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some say yes, and some say no...................it's your time and money !?!?

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....-cleaning.html

http://www.rifle-accuracy-reports.co...-break-in.html

Your choice...........................I do !!!
Old 05-20-2010, 01:41 PM
bigcountry

Yea, it works but only on some barrels. If you have a crap remington barrel thats rougher than a cobb, nothing is going to break that barrel in. If you have a new good barrel that just has some minor machine marks, you can see a difference. Same thing as using a hawkeye bore scope and finding the rough spots and lapping them out.

But this recipie of shoot once and clean, and on and on is stupid. If you shoot and clean, and do this over a few times and get no fouling, then move to 3 shots and clean, and do that a few times until no fouling, then things are getting smoothed out. You need to let the gun tell you what is happening. I would be most guns however are just rough.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

i second the above post. some barrels can be broken in, some cant. in my experiance modern guns are pretty easy to break in and usualy show good results after some time
Old 05-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've bought and sold a lot of guns over the years ,but don't remember having a bad barrel . And I have never broke a barrel in by shoot and clean .shoot and clean ,to each his own I guess

Last edited by halcon; 05-20-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg

Detailed explaination here
Old 05-21-2010, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I say that there is some brake in but not the ridiculous shoot one clean, shoot one clean for 10. And then for 3 etc... I start out at 5 and gradually increase to see where the accuracy starts falling off. It's usually around 10-15 rounds for most of my guns.

When I'm checking loads. I usually stick to every 5. This is for accuracy though and not for break in.

Tom
Old 05-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I once heard it said this way.

It minimizes the point of impact between a clean cold barrel and a dirty hot barrel.

That is of course if your gun has a different point of impact, or maybe that’s just BS too !

Still your choice !?!?

FYI - that video is of our good buddy Larry; he can tell you how to do everything right, he has "schooled" pretty much everyone at one time or another !

BTW - Funny, but it's still YOUR choice..........................

Last edited by Sheridan; 05-21-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

I'll start by saying that I'm no target shooter and MOA, although I know and understand it from an engineering point of view, really doesn't come too much into play for me. Personally, I feel the barrel breakin process work on two principles.

1. Understandably if you have a rough factory barrel the repeating of the process as others have described is going to help reduce any errors in the consistancy of your accuracy.

2. If your shooting and cleaning a whole bunch over the course of a few hours on the bench or even over a few days then you're constantly learning your rifle. A person seeking the type of accuracy a lot of the people in here are seeking needs that time. Remember that both your rifle and you are partners.

As far as how many shots it takes and all that to break in a rifle. Well its really just a study of friction. I think it definately takes more than a hundred shots or two hundred shots to break in a rifle. Eventually, unless you can figure out someway to eliminate the friction factor (which is impossible based on the concept of rifling) the precision of your accuracy is going to be ever changing. Personally, I have many rifles and my two best shooters are a 22 that my grandfather bought the day before pearl harbor was bombed and a 308 savage I bought with a heavy barrel. The 308 is pretty easy to understand why its accurate but the 22 is a prime example of how pure quality materials will withstand corrosive tendancies more easily than the flawed materials often used today. In other words they just don't make'm like they used to.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
It minimizes the point of impact between a clean cold barrel and a dirty hot barrel.
well its not completely bs because my old weatherby vangaurd had this problem when i first had it but it went away after about 100 rounds. i cant completely finger the barrel breakin as the cure the to poi walking around since i also started playing around with the pounds pressure of the action screws about that same time. but imo in a few rifles there might be some truth behind barrel breakin and the poi walking with heat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.