Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Your most reliable gun >

Your most reliable gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Your most reliable gun

Old 06-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

old savage 22-250 long action
1929 browning A5 lite
Old 06-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by dylan_b
its hard to get some of the old millitary guns like the springfield 03, enfield p14 or lee enfield not to fire. those old guns went through some searious torture back in there times and most of them still keep kicking.
I'm not really responding to this thread but to your statement about Springfields. I have two Springfields -- a sporterized .30-06 and a sporterized .25-06. My father sporterized both of them. by shaping and bedding the walnut stocks. The .25-06 has a medium weight 24" barrel. The .30-06 is very accurate. I took my first elk with it this past October. The .25-06, too, is very accurate. I'm sure these rifles will still be accurate and providing excellent service when I die and pass them on to my son.

Sometimes the cartridges do not feed smoothly in the .30-06. I don't hunt dangerous game, so this is not an issue. It has only happened on the range and not while hunting. I wonder whether perhaps I have done something amiss on these rare occasions. The .25-06 bolt has slided open while slung on my shoulder. Now I take care to lay my right elbow over the bolt to be sure it doesn't rotate free and open. While I will allow that these may be instances of "unreliability," I love these guns nevertheless and love to carry them in the field and to take game with them.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Spike

Howa 308 Bolt Action, Nikon 5x20x44 BDC, Hornady Custom SST 150. "One Shot Killer"
Old 06-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Spike

Default Tikka T-3 Lite S. S.

Tikka 243 T-3 Lite Stainless Steel, with factory rings and Burris Signature 3x9x40 Electro-Dot.. Action smooth, most accurate gun I own. Shoots sub MOA with factory ammo and sub 1/2 MOA with my hand loads, all shooting is done on portable bench that I haul in the back of my truck to the field. I purchased this as a back-up to my A-Bolt 270 but now is my go to gun. Sometime I may put a higher mag scope on it off a concrete bench just to see how accurate this Tikka really is.

Last edited by 153; 06-24-2010 at 06:00 AM.