Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Small bores for big game >

Small bores for big game

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Small bores for big game

Old 07-03-2003, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Small bores for big game

Just an interesting story.
Just proves there are poor choices made all over the world and by all kinds of people.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:55 PM
bigcountry

frizz, the way you talk you seem to be an expert that makes the right choices at all times. Maybe we should all shutup and hunt with whatever you hunt with, shoot what you shoot, and hell, maybe drive what you drive.

Old 07-03-2003, 10:13 PM

Hunting big game with 22' s....
243 recoil too much at a mere 8 to 10 pounds....
Wuff! That' s pretty rank!

I think frizzler is right on or near the mark! " Expert" or not you sure don' t have to imitate everything he does; however, there' s no crime in imitating common sense. Consider this.....

Come to Colorado and hunt our big game (including deer and antelope) with 22' s and the authorities will throw your arse in jail (where it belongs) and confiscate your varmit rifle (where it belongs). That' s not just an opinion it' s the LAW.

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 07-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

It is often quoted here that the 30-30 has killed more game than any other cartridge. Invariably, the next post states the 30-30 has wounded and lost more game than any other cartridge. My manuals show you can attain similar energies from the 30-30 and .22. However, the .22 cal has 1/3 the weight. I' d take weight over energy anytime. If you want to add a higher level of skill, learn to hunt with a bow, you get a longer season to boot. Why take the chance of losing animals with a woefully underpowered (and illegal in many states) cartridge when so many better choices are available?
Old 07-03-2003, 11:10 PM
bigcountry

Thats my point guys. These guys ain' t losin no game. And again if they are recovering thier game, then what does it matter. And hey if colorado would throw someone in jail over this, then I really don' t have much faith in the DNR commitee in that state. And besides, throwing someone in jail. Stupid waste of resources. Real hazard of society. Really startin to wonder about that state. isn' t this the same state that has the huge problem with inlines? Must be all the yuppies and ski' ers moving out there to aspen.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:16 PM
Fork Horn

BC, If legal, and these particular KY folks you know recover their game, good for them, they must be great shots and very patient. I hope you aren' t suggesting the one box per year shooter take his mini-14 out for deer.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:22 PM
bigcountry

Thats what I am telling you. Most of them I know are stalkers. The don' t hunt out of tree stands or stand hunt. But the other side of this, is they are on the draw (disability if you can call it that) and hunt almost every day during the season.

Mini14, I could care less. I am just not a big rule person.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:34 PM

BJ (god bless' im) wud be right prowd wit y' all puttin' that ther yuppie " spin" on yer arguemnt. Don' t forget to mention John Denver records, movie stars, and the Peoples Republic Of Boulder -- not that any of it has anything to do with anything. Must be getting desperate. Modern inline muzzleloaders for hunting big game is alive and well in Colorado too -- so non-issue there. Jail time? Don' t worry, you' ll probably be out of jail by the next morning or same day if your lawyer is quick; however, you will go home with your wallet lighter and WITHOUT your .22 caliber varmit rifle.

Relevent to the discussion IS the fact that Colorado is blessed with abundant, public hunting areas (including tremendous mountain terrain), numerous big game species (these beloved deer included), and the largest elk herd in the world -- assets the likes of which Maryland will NEVER match -- and we' re serious about using RULES to protect it all from greenhorns and " pro' s" alike who don' t know which guns to bring and which guns to leave at home.

Never Go Undergunned
EKM
Old 07-04-2003, 04:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have yet to see ONE good reason for using any .22 on big game animals!
Being a good shot or not has nothing to do with it.
Maybe these people are LUCKY enough to recover all their game, then again, maybe the deer aren' t bleeding enough or dying within a mile from where they were shot.
There are a thousand ways to make a bad shot and cripple a deer, going into the woods intentionally undergunned should NOT be one of them!
None the less, I have asked for ONE good reason to use a .22 for deer hunting and have not heard one yet! As far as I know B&C doesn' t give extra points for killing the biggest game with the smallest bullet! Also, if someone is going to go spend money on a deer rifle, why buy a varmint gun?
Old 07-04-2003, 09:53 AM
bigcountry

Good thing I am just in MD part of the time, and in Ky the other half or I might take offense. I move around to 5 different states. And hunt them all. Yea, I will give Colorado that. Great state. Just everytime I go to Denver to work (once or twice a year) or go anywhere near the parks when not working, its getting rarer and rarer for me to meet a good ole boy as the years pass.

Quick Reply: Small bores for big game

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.