Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Small bores for big game >

Small bores for big game

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Small bores for big game

Old 06-29-2003, 10:14 AM

Default RE: Small bores for big game

That' s my point a .22 centerfire is JUST ADEQUATE, not excelleant, good or even fair. Why not use a good-excellant cartridge and no you don' t need to have a magnum to do this.

The .243 is only .020" bigger than the .223 but, when you go from a 70gr .223 to a 100gr or bigger .243 that is 1/3 again more bullet.

While I personally don' t think of the .243 as a excellant deer round, it is most certainly a fair deer round.

I would rather hunt with a crusty old 30/30, with handloads than a .22 centerfire
Old 06-29-2003, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK doubters .. Here are the ballistics for a .223 and .243 with 70gr. starting 3000 fps. Keeping shots within 100 yds. 223 energy 1072 ft. lbs (keep in mind most other .22 exceed this) .243 1075 ft. lbs
Wow, now there is some Gore math if I ever saw it. You might want to refigure that.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

just a question guys , i heard that the .22 centerfires launch thier bullets at velocities so high that the bullets sometimes disintigrate on contact with the big game animals , i had heard this in reference to the old .22 savage high-power round , and that it was the reason for the downfall of the cartridge as it was toated as a big game rifle .

now i know that bullet developement has come a long way since then , but do you foresee this happening with any of our modern bullets today ??

and in my opinion , and i' m not trying to step on any toes here but , those guys who are taking big game with .22 centerfires ( which the rounds are capable of doing ) aren' t beginner hunters and probably didn' t start hunting big game with them, they are probably seasoned in hunting and know how to react if a problem should arrise , now i know that a beginner should have something that will build confidence but , a .22 centerfire is more of a specialized round for that application.

has she or yourself considered a .250 savage ?? they don' t have really any felt recoil , and how about a decelerator pad , the type you wear on your shoulder so that i dampens felt recoil , some hunting clothes come with them allready made into the gear , i think they have them at www.cabelas.com , hope that this might help , and don' t forget better rifle mounted recoil pads , or even muzzlebrakes
Old 06-29-2003, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

There is just no way to justify head/neck shots and still be called a sportsman!
I don' t understand where you get this but I shoot deer in the head and the only justification is that I can do it,and never lost one or had to make a second shot yet,but it depends on the circumstances also.I have taken them inthe head with rifles from 22 to 30/06 and 50 cal muzzleloaders.When I grew up you shot squrrels in the head.If you have never done this how do you know how much meat is lost?
I don' t think this makes me any less sportsman than you are.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

These # came out of the nosler #3 .. My point was not to say the .22 was as good as the .243 that everybody says to use .. just that the .243 was not much better.

As for " Gore math" I did not write it I just copied it out of the book ...

I do not beleive the bullets like the barnes x will blow up like the older bulltes
Old 06-30-2003, 07:19 AM

The 243 with winchester or hornady over the counter ammo will have more energy at 300yds than the 223 can muster at 100yds.Thats a LOT of difference in my book.With a good recoil pad and a 7-8# gun the 243 is anything but a hard kicker,my point is and always will be that there are MUCH better alternatives to using a 22CF to shoot deer.The 250 savage,243,257 roberts,6.5x55,and 260 all offer very low recoil and with past pads,quality recoil pads,and recoil reducers there is really NO justification to have to go to a far less optimum 22CF for deer hunting and run the chance of having a youngster wound a deer and lose them in the heat and excitment of the moment.That would not be a good way to start your hunting career off.

woods
Old 06-30-2003, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see what you were doing now. You were using a 70gr out a a 243. Try using a 100 gr to get your numbers and you will see a big difference. Nobody I know of uses a 70gr 243 for deer.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:56 AM

A 70 gr bullet DOWNLOADED to 3000fps so it would compare directly to a 223 not at 3400fps like its currently available in factory ammo in and capable of.

woods
Old 07-03-2003, 12:05 AM
Typical Buck

I once read in interesting piece by Jim Carmichell the shooting editor of Outdoor Life. He was returning from Africa and stopped off to visit a friend in Scotland I believe. The friend invited him to a " hunting club" to cull some fallow deer (which are some what smaller tha most N.A. white-tails). Carmichell did not have a gun of his own along but was told he could borrow a club gun. His choices were a .300 win. mag. and a .222. He figured the .300 was too much and didn' t know if the .222 was enough. He shot the .222 and found it very accurate and of course pleasent to shoot so he chose it. I think he shot a couple fallow deer with it and was very carefull about range and shot placement and very pleased at how well it dispached the deer.
I do not recomend using .22 s for deer (and neather did Carmichell). Just an interesting story.

Robin
Old 07-03-2003, 07:36 AM

You know the old saying you can' t argue with the results, but you don' t have to like the means either
I used a single shot .222 with a 55gr bullet on the buck below which weighed in at 170 pounds. It was the only gun I had at the time. It worked very nicely with a hole in the heart before it lodged in the far shoulder. The deer ran 20-30 yards with a great blood trail and fell quickly. I now own a .270 (also hated by many on this board) which could increase my effective range if only this damn state would let me use rifles around here.

Sure bigger is better, because it gives you more options, but it doesn' t make the smaller calibers worthless.

Quick Reply: Small bores for big game

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.