Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

zeroing a .22 with iron sights

Old 05-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=IndyHunter83;3626981]Honestly why not put a 4x scope on it? quote]

Thought about it, but there are severe budget constraints due to my occupation. I'm a priest in a religious order and am under a promise of poverty. We get a small spending allotment for things like clothes, recreation, simple vacations, etc. A scope isn't out of the question, but I'm not yet willing to go that route as yet.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=Father Forkhorn;3627163]
Originally Posted by IndyHunter83
Honestly why not put a 4x scope on it? quote]

Thought about it, but there are severe budget constraints due to my occupation. I'm a priest in a religious order and am under a promise of poverty. We get a small spending allotment for things like clothes, recreation, simple vacations, etc. A scope isn't out of the question, but I'm not yet willing to go that route as yet.

Well Father Forkhorn,
The cheapest way to solve the aiming issue is by replacing the front post (if possible) with one that is higher and when the rear sight is adjusted to be dead on at 25 yards (or whatever distance you deem best) will allow for adjustment both up and down. In other words, your shooting is right on and the rear sight has play to adjust for further or closer. OR, for slightly more you may be able to get a rear peep installed. A rear peep sight might give you the necessary adjustment leeway. But that will involve $ also. Either way I'll bet a gunsmith would give you excellent free advice on the best and cheapest way to get the Remington taking squirrels for you.
If you are a patient man you might be able to fashion a new front sight with a piece of steel and a few files. If your current front sight can be safely drifted out of it's dovetail (assuming it is installed as mentioned) then you could try to fashion a duplicate that is much higher ... place your rear sight adjustments in the middle and start with shooting groups and then slowly filing down the front sight until it's shooting where you're looking.

Good luck Father