Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
zeroing a .22 with iron sights >

zeroing a .22 with iron sights

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

zeroing a .22 with iron sights

Old 05-16-2010, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default zeroing a .22 with iron sights

What's the rule of thumb for sighting a .22 with iron sights? distance, size of groups, dead on? inch high?, etc.

Here's the scoop: I have an older .22 without a scope I recently zeroed at 25 yards off a sturdy rest and sandbags. I had three shots in a one inch circle, but an inch high. I couldn't take the rear sight down any further as it was on the lowest setting. I was using remington thunderbolts.

I use this rifle to stillhunt squirrels in the woods.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Close enough?
Old 05-16-2010, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Please tell us the make and model of the .22, what kind of front and rear sights (sounds like you have a graduated ramp adjustable in the rear .. with a wide notch? wide low "V"?, buckhorn?) Does the front sight have a removable post? Does the front sight have a bead? No bead? Not removable?
Old 05-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 8mm/06
Please tell us the make and model of the .22, what kind of front and rear sights (sounds like you have a graduated ramp adjustable in the rear .. with a wide notch? wide low "V"?, buckhorn?) Does the front sight have a removable post? Does the front sight have a bead? No bead? Not removable?
Remington Scoremaster. I'll have to look at the sights

What I really want to know is what distance do you sight in at with an iron sighted .22 and whether to be dead on, an inch high, etc.?
Old 05-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

well ya need it to be zero at whatever distance you plan on shootin squirrels at..sometimes its easy to keep yourself at a certain distance from something than it is to guess an inch hi or whatever.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like mine to be on the money at about 25-35 yards with iron sights.

I'll set my scoped .22s up to be about dead on at 40 yards or so.... right now its dead on at 20 yards... because the squirrels like to run down the back fence before getting into my garden... happens to be exactly 20 yards from my window.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Honestly why not put a 4x scope on it? If you're using it for still hunting squirrels you should plan on being at about 20-30yds and be able to hit something about the size of a quarter. A scope can only give an advantage so why not put a scope on it?
Old 05-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to have my open sights dead on at 50 yards. If using a buckhorn sight I use the 6 o'clock hold. With my peep sighted rifles I use a 1/2 bead hold. This works great for squirrel hunting since most shots are normally 25 to 40 yards. I use a 6 o'clock hold on all the squirrels. And I normally try to bark em. But if I am a touch high it will just hit them right smack in the noggin!! Tom.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IndyHunter83
so why not put a scope on it?
Why not?? 1. Because a good shooter should learn how to shoot with irons. 2. Because shooting with irons is more fun. 3. Because shooting with irons is more of a challenge. 3. Because scopes are ugly on a good lever action. 4. Because squirrels taste better when shot wth irons!! 5. Just Because!! Tom.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
Remington Scoremaster. I'll have to look at the sights

What I really want to know is what distance do you sight in at with an iron sighted .22 and whether to be dead on, an inch high, etc.?
I found this regarding the Remington Scoremaster sights and it's variant models (below) check your gun for markings and sights and let us know.. If you could get a smith to install higher post up front that would help you to get dead on at 25 yards with irons. That s a very good starting point ...especially if you can get it dead on with the rear sight in the middle of it's travel .. then you have options.

Variants

511A (Standard; open sight mounted on the barrel)
  • 511P (Peep sight mounted on the rear of the receiver)
  • 511SB (Smoothbore for .22 LR shot cartridges)
  • 511X (Improved sights)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.