Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
XCR or CDL?????? >

XCR or CDL??????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

XCR or CDL??????

Old 05-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
If you want a pretty 700 w/ nice wood and bluing, I would go for the BDL, the newer CDLs dont impress me too much, the walnut stock has a low luster "thin" finish, and the bluing has a satin finish similar to the black SPS model. The BDL has a high luster finish on the stock and deep,rich, gloss bluing, much more classic looking rifle IMO, and If Im not mistaken the BDL has a 2" shorter barrel than the CDL. With wood stocks I think a heavy polyurythane finish is better to protect it from moisture. I dont think the XCR, or even the SPS stainless are ugly, the gray matte stainless is pretty nice, and the injection molded stocks are light, yet pretty firm w/ minimal flex. Have you considered the MTLSS? Thats what I have, Its much lighter than the other 700s. I think its a nice blend of good looks and weather resistance, although some dont like the thin barrel.
IMO the CDL finish is much better than the SPS. The finish on the SPS reminds me of a spray in truck bed liner.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

What sometimes is called, the tip of the iceberg;

"HCR's bedding department is truly unique," Matt said. "Hector Herrera and his sister, Irene, have each bedded over 10,000 bolt-action rifles over the last 20 years. As a team, they will pillar bed over 800 rifles this year alone. Those two know just about everything there is to know about bedding an action into a stock. And because we accurize so many different factory rifles as opposed to specializing in, say, Remington, our bedding expertise is unmatched in the custom firearms industry.

BB - and you know better...............comments like that make you seem foolish !

Last edited by Sheridan; 05-13-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

BB - and you know better...............comments like that make you seem foolish !
You're right, I do know better. I know that what they are doing to a rifle isn't worth any where near their asking price. If all they do is what they post on their web site the foolish one is the one willing to pay $1800 for it.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
"HCR's bedding department is truly unique," Matt said. "Hector Herrera and his sister, Irene, have each bedded over 10,000 women over the last 20 years. As a team, they will pillar bed over 800 women this year alone. Those two know just about everything there is to know about bedding a woman. And because we bed so many different races of women as opposed to specializing in, say, caucasian, our bedding expertise is unmatched in the industry.
Fixed...couldn't resist.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

BB,

Just as a reminder; This was YOUR STATEMENT.

“So, Hill Country expects you to pay $1800 for what ammounts to new crown and McMillan stock??????”

That is what makes you seem foolish (it’s your statement), because you know there is far more to it than what YOU STATED. (?????)
Old 05-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know what I said and according to their accurizing page there isn't much more to it than that.

I'm just going on what they say that they do to "accurize" a rifle.

How We Do It:
  • Inspect chamber and barrel with our Hawkeye Bore Scope
  • Inspect chamber for proper head space with go and no-go gauges (These two are akin to paying someone to inspect you brakes. This is just fluff talk to make you think you are getting something you are not. You will be asked to pay more if it doesn't meet their criteria)
  • Ensure even locking lug contact as head space allows (So they lap the lugs until they run out of headspace and create a maximum spec chamber. I could be wrong but I doubt they are turning your bolt and receiver on a lathe to accomplish this.)
  • Recrown barrel to ensure a perfectly concentric crown (Finally some actual machine work)
  • Aluminum Pillar and Glass Bed receiver and floor plate (Isn't this pointless in a McMillan stock? Maybe a dab of glass in the recoil lug. A McMillan shouldn't need pillars at all)
  • Free-float barrel (They tape the barrel when they glass the stock)
  • Clean, inspect and tune your trigger (easily done at home with the X-Mark trigger)
  • Check base for level and lap scope rings for a perfect fit
  • Shoot your rifle for groups, sight in, and give you the targets

Last edited by bigbulls; 05-13-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

So basically they are supplying an XCR barreled action, tuning an adjustable trigger, Supplying and bedding a McMillan stock(over rated and over priced IMO), lapping the scope rings, and recrowning the barrel for $1,850?? Along with checking out a few other items, and I am assuming if additional work needs done then there will be additional charges??

BB I am with you. I may also be showing my ignorance. But that sounds like a lot of money to me??

XCR barreled action------$700
McMillan stock-----------$600
Bed the action-----------$200
Adjust a trigger----------$75
Recrown-----------------$100
lap scope rings-----------$75

total--------------------$1750

So $1,850 is an extra $100 over the highly inflated prices that I have listed. All the prices I listed are ful retail+. Sounds high to me?? But that is just my opinion.

Actual wholesale prices:
XCR barreled acton------$550
McMillan Stock----------$350
Bed the action(parts)----$10??
Adjust the trigger(parts)-$0
recrown(parts)----------$2----------for cutting fluid
lap scope rings----------$1----------for lapping compound

Total:------------------$903

So this only leaves labor and profit-so lets combine those.

$947.

Not bad for 3 or 4 hours of actual work. Somewhere between $275 an hour to $320 an hour?? Not bad work if you can get it. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 05-13-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:17 AM
Spike

i'd get the cdl (i like wood/blue). and remember, the xcr does rust. it just takes a little longer than blued steel. if you take reasonable care of a cdl, i'm confident it will last you and your son a lifetime.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm just going on what YOU SAID they do to accurize a rifle.

"what ammounts to new crown and McMillan stock"

At first it sounded so simple, and anyone who brought in on it was taken ?

And you know what, it is just that simple.

It's a custom rifle that is already broke in, shoots sub 1" MOA, and is ready to go.

Either you think it's worth it or you don't.

No one needs to be thought less of for their opinion (plus it is their money anyway).

Maybe, now you know were I'm coming from........................... :-)