Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger LCP for CCW? >

Ruger LCP for CCW?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger LCP for CCW?

Old 05-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ruger LCP for CCW?

Now that Iowa had finally passed a revision to the law making the state shall issue, I need to pick out a CCW pistol. I have a Springfield XD-9 4" Service that will do, but I'm concerned about the comfort factor as a "full size" semi-auto, and about concealability wearing summer weight clothes. For winter I think I'll carry in an IWB holster, because the bulkier clothes will hide it better.

My question is about the new Ruger LCP .380ACP. Being a very small sub-compact, it should be very easy to conceal even in shorts and a t-shirt, and at 9.5 ounces it's light enough that it'd barely be noticeable in a proper holster. I was wonder if anyone had one or had shot one and could report on the quality and reliability of the pistol.

And before anyone says anything, I know that 380 Auto isn't a 45 ACP. I'm considering the LCP because it'd be a gun I think that I'd carry all the time, and the 380 you have on you has far more chance of stopping a perp than the 45 you left at home.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike,

I have shot the LCP and was pretty impressed with it. Not a bad CCW piece at all....especially for the price. The trigger is fair at best and the pistol my friend has did have a few FTE's at first. May have been the ammo or just the fact that the pistol was new.

What kind of holster and belt are you using as this can make a world of difference? You are spot on in your thinking that if it is uncomfortable, you probably won't carry.

While the 380 is certainly better than nothing, I would feel much better with a 9mm or bigger. The subcompact XD would be an excellent choice as you are already familiar with that platform. The sub compact Glocks, Sig 250, and S&W M&P would be excellent choices as well.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have a holster or belt yet. The new law doesn't go into effect until Jan 1st, 2011, but I'm thinking toward the future. I was looking at the Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB holsters. The reviews are all good, and the videos make it appear they conceal well and are reasonably comfortable. I'll probably go with a 1.5" leather gun belt to add support while looking decent with both jeans and khakis. I generally wear jeans or khakis (shorts of both types in the summer), with a Polo shirt and sometimes a T-shirt, usually tucked in. I also like the Crossbreed because one can still tuck in their shirt.

I know it's maybe a little dorky, but I've also considered carrying the XD in one of those pistol fanny packs as well. There are so many options to choose from, it's a little hard to know where to start, so I'm just exploring my options. I also wouldn't mind carrying a Walther PPK, but the Ruger LCP is half the price and smaller, which are both factors.

Mike
Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Atleast you have plenty of time to find the rig that you want to carry. I have not used the Crossbreed but they do look very good. I can however recommend Comp-Tac holsters(the Minotaur holsters are top notch). Check out their link:

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog.php?...b7ffks3hi9nhk6
Old 05-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Ruger LCP that I bought for the wife. She doesn't like the trigger pull on it and has a hard time racking the slide back so she isn't interested in the pistol. I really like this gun for two reasons. 1. It's small and easy to conceal. 2. It's light enough and small enough that you can put it in a pocket and forget that you have the pistol with you. You will be more likely to carry a pistol of this size all the time vs a pistol of larger size due to the fact that it is small and light weight. I have carried several different pistols over the years and my current carry pistol is the Kimber Ultra CDP II. As soon as I can add the Ruger to my CCW license I will and that will see plenty of carry time.
Another couple of pistols to consider are the Kel-Tec PF9 and the Taurus PT 709 slim. They are a little larger than the Ruger LCP but are chambered in 9mm. They both feel pretty nice in my hands. I think the Taurus is a little heavier but I like the trigger pull on it more than the double action only on the Kel-Tec. With .380acp ammo being hard to come by the 9s are looking pretty good to me. That and they pack a little more punch than the .380.
Food for Thought.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the benefit of an LCP(I have LCR) is that you can put it in your pocket and dont need a holster. IF you are going to use a holster/gun belt any way, then go with whatever cause the comfort level wont be much different with a compact auto and LCP. I weighed the difference in needing a holster or not for comfort and went with a gun I could put into my pocket instead of dealing with holster. I also have a G23 and its just not as easy or comfortable as my pocket gun.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get the Ruger LCP. Get a Keltec 3PAT. Better trigger. I have one and know of another that has one. Never a problem. Don't substitue looks for function.

I think the Keltec is the best carry pistol out there. I back pocket carry. My buddy uses a paddle holster. I'm thinking about getting a paddle holster.

Tom
Old 05-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Over at the Ruger forums allot of positive talk about the LCP.I bought one a few months ago and haven't fired it yet. The hard part right now is finding 380 ammo to feed it.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Until now I didn't realize that 380ACP was so hard to find. I'd have thought that it'd be fairly common. It's not 9mm Luger, but it's not that exotic... is it?

Mike
Old 05-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

The LCP is a fantastic CCW pistol. It is by far our number one selling .380 pocket pistol.

The only holster you will need is a good pocket holster but don't just drop it in your pocket as it will rotate around in your pocket and will not be positioned properly when you need it. If you are right handed keep it in a pocket holster in your front right pocket. You can have you hand on your pistol ready in a split second carrying on a conversation with Joe Schmoe and no one will ever know the difference. As Duckbutter said, if you are going to carry it on the belt then you may as well get a larger 9mm.

Though I have to disagree with statjunk. I would buy a LCP over the P3AT any day.

Until now I didn't realize that 380ACP was so hard to find. I'd have thought that it'd be fairly common. It's not 9mm Luger, but it's not that exotic... is it?
The problem with the .380 ammo right now is two fold.

#1. is the fact that until the current terrorist in chief took office there really wasn't a demand for pocket pistols and .380 ammo. When he took office and the economy began to really tank and crime started rising there was a mad rush for people to get their CCW's and a huge number of them wanted easily concealable pocket pistols. Especially women that had never considered carrying before. Here in Florida , in the span of just one year there were more applications for CCW's than there were existing CCW holders in the entire state previously. What had normally taken just a couple of weeks to process was now taking 6-8 months.

#2. is thieving crooks. People were going around to every gun store and buying every single bit of ammo they could find and taking it to gun shows and raping people that couldn't find it at their local gun store or Walmart. Many are still doing it. We have a good customer that is a district manager of Walmart. He toldus that people would come in and buy entire pallets of hand gun ammo before it ever hit the floor... sight unseen

Don't worry though. It is definitely getting better. Lately we haven't really had much of a problem getting .380 ammo. We have been able to get hollow points for a while now though FMJ is a little hit and miss but not nearly like it use to be. Buffalo bore has never let us down with the availability of their .380 and .380+P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.