Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Cleaning kits >

Cleaning kits

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cleaning kits

Old 05-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

At home I use Tipton rods with bore guides.When hunting I carry the Otis kit.These days I'm using Butch's Bore shine and oil with his triple twill patches.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've heard of guys using a bore snake after every shot to prolonged barrel life, but not for a good cleaning...
Old 05-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like those Otis (With a cable )cleaning kits that come in a small pouch ( for my semi autos, leverguns & when space is limited etc)
Old 05-13-2010, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe I'm missing something here--I like to run a patch through with a good solvent on it, then a couple passes with the bore snake and then a patch that very lightly coats the bore with a good oil after each outing or trip to the range. It seems to me that the bore snakes do an excellent job and are well sized for the individual caliber--I have three for my .204, cut the brush and tail off of one of them, gave it a light coat of oil and use that one before putting the rifle away. This is a Browning A-bolt and the accuracy has been outstanding--of course I also run a patch or two through it before heading back out to the range to remove the oil and to make certain the bore is clear and dry. What I'm asking is why some shooters aren't real bore snake fans, because I feel they work very well and leave the bore very clean, I would have thought they would be more popular--What is the problem with them?----------John
Old 05-14-2010, 01:44 AM
Spike

I find it easier to throw away a patch from a cut up t-shirt than to have to wash or replace a bore snake. Nothing against bore snakes. They work great!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Usually Dewey cleaning rods get lots of great press however, I had one and I can't say I was at all impressed with it. I didn't really like the handle or the rod or really anything about it. The coating wore off very quickly. I guess it's better than a cheap $2 rod from Wally World but it just didn't impress me. Next I tried a Tipton Carbon Fiber rod and I absolutely love these things. IMO it's one of the best cleaning rods out there. There is no comparison at all between this and the Dewey rod. It doesn't have that coating to wear off, has a awesome handle, and isn't metal so doesn't seem to be able to bend. I really like this thing and would highly recommend the Tipton cleaning rods. Some people do like the Dewey rod's though so you might like one I just didn't. Then I just use cheap brushes from Walmart, Bass Pro, etc. Tipton makes a kit of different brushes and stuff but I haven't bought it to see how it is.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I stick with the Pro-Shot products. They're made well and made here in the midwest.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Usually Dewey cleaning rods get lots of great press however, I had one and I can't say I was at all impressed with it. I didn't really like the handle or the rod or really anything about it. The coating wore off very quickly. I guess it's better than a cheap $2 rod from Wally World but it just didn't impress me. Next I tried a Tipton Carbon Fiber rod and I absolutely love these things. IMO it's one of the best cleaning rods out there. There is no comparison at all between this and the Dewey rod. It doesn't have that coating to wear off, has a awesome handle, and isn't metal so doesn't seem to be able to bend. I really like this thing and would highly recommend the Tipton cleaning rods. Some people do like the Dewey rod's though so you might like one I just didn't. Then I just use cheap brushes from Walmart, Bass Pro, etc. Tipton makes a kit of different brushes and stuff but I haven't bought it to see how it is.
I'll be checking one of those out next time I'm at a shop.

Tom
Old 05-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

The most important component is a coated or fiber rod, and a boreguide. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Spike

Does anyone use the Tipton bore guide? If so, have you considered finding/making a secondary insert like the one's found on the Lucas bore guide?