HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   What cheap single shot rifle? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/320619-what-cheap-single-shot-rifle.html)

cterbow 03-30-2010 05:02 PM

What cheap single shot rifle?

Hey i was wanting to purchase a cheaper single shot rifle just to have. i do not plan on doing any serious hunting nor shooting with it. and i was wondering if a NEF or an H&R would be a good gun to pick up. chambered in a 280 or 30-06

any input would be nice. also i am looking at a knight kp1

what do you all think.

Mojotex 03-30-2010 05:56 PM

Best buddy bought a Handi in 308 Win. for his young son. Sure it is very plain, with a not so hot trigger. But this little rifle shot great at the range once we found the right ammo match and his son has killed many deer with it.

Daveboone 03-30-2010 06:05 PM

NEF are fine guns for the money and well thought of.

thndrchiken 03-30-2010 07:11 PM

If you have the cash you may want to look into a Thompson or CVA, you can go from a muzzleloader to shotgun to centerfire and if you want other chamberings just buy another barrel.

NITEHAWKJS 03-30-2010 07:25 PM

I had a Handi in 280 it shot great only trouble i had with it was a stuck case every once in a while. I did some work on the chamber and ejector to solve the problem.

slowr1der 03-30-2010 08:09 PM

After seeing a friend's NEF he got I wouldn't purchase one if I found one for $100. I just wasn't impressed at all with it and I don't think he has been impressed either. It shot fine for him accuracy wise. However, it had an issue of opening up when shooting it. Then they had another malfunction that I have yet to see. Supposedly it somehow opened up or something and the shell is stuck in there after shooting it. I haven't seen it and I don't know if it was ammo related or related to the gun. However, the not staying closed when shooting it coupled with that I think has made him not crazy about it.

Myself, I just wasn't impressed with it on top of the fact that I'm not a big single shot fan. When you can get a super nice bolt action for cheap like the Marlin XL-7 or Stevens 200 I just don't see the point to a single shot. To me if I'm going to get a single shot I'd rather just get a muzzle loader. I'm sure I'm not much help here I just thought I'd give my opinion.

Why exactly do you want a single shot? Is it just because you think it's the cheapest way to go? Or is there another reason you want one?

UncleNorby 03-31-2010 03:28 AM

If you want a rifle just to have, and not to hunt with, I'd get a 22 Magnum. Why spend money on 280 or 30/06 ammo?

bugsNbows 03-31-2010 05:10 AM

Don't knock the single shots! Many of us have, like, and use singles a lot. In theory they can teach you to be a better shot... when you know all you have is 1! LOL

Pete D. 04-01-2010 08:38 AM

Handi-rifle

I have only good things to say about the NEF/H&R single shots. Reliable, accurate, inexpensive, strong.
I have one chambered for the .45-70. I have shot some very powerful loads in it and it has held up.
Pete