HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Gun Vault (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/320543-gun-vault.html)

bigcountry 03-29-2010 09:58 AM

Gun Vault

Thinking about getting a gunvault.

anyone have one? How about the new bio model.

statjunk 03-29-2010 10:29 AM

BC,

I'm assuming you're talking about a safe.

Here in our local area a guy had his house broken into. He had a 600lb safe with 24 long guns, some hand guns, jewlery, memorabilia etc.... inside of it. He also had 6 more long guns in a wood cabinet next to it.

On Xmas day, while away from home, he was targeted. They stole his pickup truck out of the garage to move the safe. They stole the neighbors quad and trailer to move the safe from the house to the truck. They basically destroyed the guys house on xmas day. WTF.

I guess the reason I'm sharing this is to point out that if someone wants it they're going to get it one way or the other.

My vote buy another rifle instead and some itemized insurance.

Tom

bigcountry 03-29-2010 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by statjunk (Post 3603693)
BC,

I'm assuming you're talking about a safe.

Here in our local area a guy had his house broken into. He had a 600lb safe with 24 long guns, some hand guns, jewlery, memorabilia etc.... inside of it. He also had 6 more long guns in a wood cabinet next to it.

On Xmas day, while away from home, he was targeted. They stole his pickup truck out of the garage to move the safe. They stole the neighbors quad and trailer to move the safe from the house to the truck. They basically destroyed the guys house on xmas day. WTF.

I guess the reason I'm sharing this is to point out that if someone wants it they're going to get it one way or the other.

My vote buy another rifle instead and some itemized insurance.

Tom

Nope, I have a safe. I am looking at the personal pistol safes for your bedroom. Wife is on to me to get lock up the home defense. Just look up gun vault.

bugsNbows 03-29-2010 02:01 PM

My SIL is looking into these. He want's one that reads prints or has some sort of quick opening feature. He plans on bolting it to the floor. I believe the one he sought was about $350. Yikes.

bigcountry 03-29-2010 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by bugsNbows (Post 3603819)
My SIL is looking into these. He want's one that reads prints or has some sort of quick opening feature. He plans on bolting it to the floor. I believe the one he sought was about $350. Yikes.

Yea, I was looking at the combination ones and the fingerprint ones.

I don't believe its a true finger print, but more of a finger resonance process.

steve d 03-30-2010 06:20 AM

There is alot of very expensive junk being sold on the market
concerning gun safes. I purchased mine several years back and it has served me well, the brand name is Browning I'm not sure who was making it for then att.
- Twice in the past year in Western NY (could be more I just know of these incidents) there have been gun safes stolen out of the home, for this to happen thieves need to know you have it in the first place. Im currentley assissting a friend with the purchase of a 1200 lbs used Mosler safe. Its big and heavy
found it on the bay for cheap. Trying to move this into his home is going to be a challenge... Good luck Steve

bigcountry 03-30-2010 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by steve d (Post 3604227)
There is alot of very expensive junk being sold on the market
concerning gun safes. I purchased mine several years back and it has served me well, the brand name is Browning I'm not sure who was making it for then att.
- Twice in the past year in Western NY (could be more I just know of these incidents) there have been gun safes stolen out of the home, for this to happen thieves need to know you have it in the first place. Im currentley assissting a friend with the purchase of a 1200 lbs used Mosler safe. Its big and heavy
found it on the bay for cheap. Trying to move this into his home is going to be a challenge... Good luck Steve

Yea, we are not talking guns safes per sa but more quick access single pistol. Either combo or finger print recongiiztiona

spaniel 03-30-2010 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by bigcountry (Post 3603668)
Thinking about getting a gunvault.

anyone have one? How about the new bio model.

I have had this one for about 1.5 years:
http://www.safetysafeguards.com/site...roduct/INPRINT

I got it off Cabela's as it was the only fingerprint one they had at the time, the Gun Vault may be better. It appears the InPrint is in redesign right now and not available...not sure I like that.

My evaluation is that it does what it advertises. I keep my CCW pistols (2) in there so it gets opened almost daily. No issues. Occasions where it fails to open on the first try are incredibly rare and open time is about 1sec with a springloaded drop-down door.

These safes are typically small. A G23 and Taurus 85 is all it will hold. But for quick access to a loaded handgun they are hard to beat. I got mine after an attempted (unsuccessful) break-in while we were sleeping one night.

Some people don't like the electronic ones but this has been reliable as anything for me. I will tell you that one night my wife got up and let the dog out at the other end of the house, forgetting to turn off the alarm which squealed loudly and woke me up. In that state of barely-awakedness, it took me several seconds to grasp enough of my surroundings to even go for the safe. In that state and being dark, in retrospect, I think having to remember and punch a combination may have been too much for me to put together as quickly as I could open it biometrically.

I programmed 2 fingers on each hand for both me and my wife.

halfbakedi420 03-30-2010 12:45 PM

http://www.sportco.com/productcart/p...FVZS2godliARDg

think im gettin the bottom one just to screw to the bed frame...mind you all this is doin is keeping it from kids or others, but is very portable and can be taken...im hoping my headboard is enough detour-ant from anyone stealin it in case of a break in.

it is A-1 for child safety.
as far as real finger print id...i saw on myth busters where you can trick some of them with a piece of paper...im sure not all of them.