Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Browning X-Bolt Question >

Browning X-Bolt Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning X-Bolt Question

Old 04-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IAhuntr
You should be able to buy a much shorter allen head set-screw at any decent hardware store that will just fill the threaded hole and then blue (not red!) loctite into place.

I had thought about that as well. Think I will give that a try first. If I find a screw that will work....would it be better to put the loctite on the threads of the screw itself or the threads and the housing?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
I had thought about that as well. Think I will give that a try first. If I find a screw that will work....would it be better to put the loctite on the threads of the screw itself or the threads and the housing?
Just a drop on the screw and let it set up a bit before you install it.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
This might be better suited in the new "gunsmith" section but I will ask here anyway.

Just picked up my new X-Bolt Hunter earlier this week. I am planning to adjust the trigger down and was wondering if it was possible to turn the weight adjustment screw too much? All the manual states is which way to turn it.
VAhuntr,

You said it yourself; maybe better posed for a gunsmith.................$1,000 rifle + $$$ scope.

Worth $65 for a basic trigger job from a certified Smith rather than "rigging" it !?!?

Just trying to make sense of saving a few buck on a $1,000 rifle.

Some will say that, "they never met a rifle that came out of a box that couldn't use a basic trigger job".

Least expensive way to accurize a rifle. IMHO and my Smith's.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
VAhuntr,

You said it yourself; maybe better posed for a gunsmith.................$1,000 rifle + $$$ scope.

Worth $65 for a basic trigger job from a certified Smith rather than "rigging" it !?!?

Just trying to make sense of saving a few buck on a $1,000 rifle.

Some will say that, "they never met a rifle that came out of a box that couldn't use a basic trigger job".

Least expensive way to accurize a rifle. IMHO and my Smith's.

I understand what you are saying but....to me it is not rigging it. The manual tells you how to adjust the trigger weight on the X-Bolt....just does not tell you how far to turn the screw. From what I understand, the Browning Feather trigger will only adjust so far up or so far down.

Now, if I was changing a spring to lower the weight even further, then I would take it to a gunsmith.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

I just recently sighted my X-bolt 300 mag, after aligning my 2 groups were under 1", one actually being 3/4". My a-bolt 270 shoots groups consistently under 3/4" best being 3/8". Factory ammo, never had a trigger job or lapping the barrel, not bad for out of the box.