Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Advice for first handgun purchase. >

Advice for first handgun purchase.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Advice for first handgun purchase.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Advice for first handgun purchase.

i understand that everyone has their preference for make. i am bout to turn 21 here in the next few months and was looking for a 9mm. semi auto. i have hunted deer all my life, so shotguns and rifles i am very familiar with. i however have a .357 smith and wesson handgun i inherited from my dad after he died. i have alot of experiance handling handguns, and know how to fire them, but most of my experiance shootin the handguns is revolvers. so im here asking you experts what you have experiance with and truly enjoy to have and shoot. i am a college student about to graduate next semester, but because i am still in college i dont have a very large budget. i appreciate any and all advice guys and ladies
Old 03-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Might consider a .40

You could probably deer hunt with the .357 you've got, not that you ever will, but I think you need a revolver with a 3" or 4" barrel, with a minimum caliber/diameter, as well maybe a minimum energy level, think the .357 qualifies though, only thing would be if that barrel was long enough.

I think a .40 would be my choice for a cartridge with no other circumstances in a semi-auto.

If you have a wife who wants to shoot it, or a kid, or it's a compact model, etc...the 9mm might make more sense.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Might consider a .40

You could probably deer hunt with the .357 you've got, not that you ever will, but I think you need a revolver with a 3" or 4" barrel, with a minimum caliber/diameter, as well maybe a minimum energy level, think the .357 qualifies though, only thing would be if that barrel was long enough.

I think a .40 would be my choice for a cartridge with no other circumstances in a semi-auto.

If you have a wife who wants to shoot it, or a kid, or it's a compact model, etc...the 9mm might make more sense.
the .357 is capable of being hunted with as thats what my grandpa uses every year since its easier for him to carry through the woods with his arthritis. its got a 6" barrel.

and i was considering a .45 or a 9mm. just because the cartriges for .40 are so much more than either a .45 or 9mm. but i will be moving in with my gf after graduation and she loves to shoot as well, and would like her to not be to intimidated of recoil, especially if im gone and the time comes to use it in a self diffense situation.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

What's the price difference between .40 and 9mm? .45?

Seems to me like the .40 is very popular these days.

I'd get a .40 over a .45, also the 9mm magazine will hold I think about 2 more than the .40, and the .40 will hold more than the .45, something to consider...
Old 03-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my neck of the woods 9mm is cheapest followed by the 40 and then the 45 is the most expensive of the 3. The 9mm would be cheaper to shoot and would be an excellent defensive weapon with good ammo.

Many people I know find the 40 S&W to have snappier or harsher recoil than the 45 acp. I don't find it bad at all but it can be a little unruly in a Glock 27, shooting fullhouse Double Tap ammo.

I like Glock pistols myself, along with Sig Sauer and Beretta. As long as you go with what you like is all that matters. I would definately pick something from one of the major brands though. Look at Glock, Springfield XD's, S&W M&P, and Ruger...just to name a few in the price range you mentioned.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
In my neck of the woods 9mm is cheapest followed by the 40 and then the 45 is the most expensive of the 3. The 9mm would be cheaper to shoot and would be an excellent defensive weapon with good ammo.

Many people I know find the 40 S&W to have snappier or harsher recoil than the 45 acp. I don't find it bad at all but it can be a little unruly in a Glock 27, shooting fullhouse Double Tap ammo.

I like Glock pistols myself, along with Sig Sauer and Beretta. As long as you go with what you like is all that matters. I would definately pick something from one of the major brands though. Look at Glock, Springfield XD's, S&W M&P, and Ruger...just to name a few in the price range you mentioned.

atleast where i am at, 9mm i can get a box of 50 for bout $20. a b0x of 50 in .45 is bout $35. and a box of 50 run bout $45 or more. i checked it out at 2 local gun stores. i personally am not worried bout the reciol, but at the same time (god willing it never happen) if someone where to come into my place with intention to steal, rob, or harm me or my gf. and she gets to the gun before me, dont want her to hesitate due to fear of the recoil. plus we enjoy target shooting when the weather and time allows. and i would like for her to enjoy in the gun as well, and still not cost me an arm and a leg in ammo. i was leaning toward a ruger P-89? defenitly an 80 model....just late and strugling to remeber now.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:14 AM
Fork Horn

I got my Lady friend a 9mm Hi-Point semi auto. They are cheap and work good. Never had it ti jam up. She loves shooting it.

Last edited by duckhunter578; 03-26-2010 at 02:16 AM. Reason: miss spelled a word
Old 03-26-2010, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you already have your first handgun? The auto has the advantage when it comes to magazine capacity, but that .357 is absolutely adequate for defensive purposes. In fact, even toning it down with +P .38 Specials instead of full-house .357s, I'd prefer it over a 9mm.

The 9mm's liability, in my experience, is FMJ ammunition. If you're willing to spend extra for dedicated defensive ammunition (typically, good hollow points), that liability can be significantly reduced. It IS very easy to shoot, though - and something that's easy to shoot often promotes fundamentally better marksmanship. A hit with a 9mm is better than a miss with a .454 Casull.

I don't have a .40, but seems every law enforcement person I know does. That's a statement in itself. But, also consider that everyone in the military who carries a pistol carries a 9mm, so it's often not a matter of choice.

The .45 (ACP) is a different animal. It doesn't have the high-velocity "whip" in its recoil like the 9mm does, but instead gets your attention with a "big bullet" shove. A double-stack .45 often gets to be too wide for many to properly grip, a single stack doesn't give you much advantage over a revolver in terms of magazine capacity. A compact .45 is the ticket for concealed carry, though. Narrow and short.

Given what you've posted, I'd probably elect the 9mm. Ammunition's more widely available (not that .40 and .45 are scarce, necessarily). If you're going to use it as a defensive gun, get some hollow points.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Glocks would be my choice followed by Springfield XD's. You can get them in a wide variety of calibers. I'm personally a fan of the 9mm, .40 S&W, and the .45 ACP. I don't think you can really go wrong with either of them.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by andy da animal
atleast where i am at, 9mm i can get a box of 50 for bout $20. a b0x of 50 in .45 is bout $35. and a box of 50 run bout $45 or more. i checked it out at 2 local gun stores. i personally am not worried bout the reciol, but at the same time (god willing it never happen) if someone where to come into my place with intention to steal, rob, or harm me or my gf. and she gets to the gun before me, dont want her to hesitate due to fear of the recoil. plus we enjoy target shooting when the weather and time allows. and i would like for her to enjoy in the gun as well, and still not cost me an arm and a leg in ammo. i was leaning toward a ruger P-89? defenitly an 80 model....just late and strugling to remeber now.
Wow is that for hollow point ammo? If not I'd look for a new dealer. Walmart here sells 9mm Federal Champion for $9.97 for 50. The same Federal Champion in .40 S&W is $13.97 for 50. I'm not sure what the .45 ACP is since it's not often instock. I saw it instock a couple days ago but couldn't see the price of it. Those prices you mentioned are crazy high. WWB here is $20.97 or $21.97 depending on the Walmart for the 9mm. This is 100 round packs. The 100 round pack of WWB for the .40 S&W is right at $30 or so.

As for the Ruger P-89 they are reliable pistols. The biggest complaint about them seems to be the size of them. They are kind of a brick. I don't think you can really go wrong with one though unless you are looking for a gun to use for concealed carrying. It's a lot cheaper than the Glocks usually or Springfield XD's but I still prefer the Glocks if you have the extra money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.