Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Snake Pistol? .38/.357 revolver? 9mm SA? >

Snake Pistol? .38/.357 revolver? 9mm SA?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Snake Pistol? .38/.357 revolver? 9mm SA?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Snake Pistol? .38/.357 revolver? 9mm SA?

Talk me in or out of a Taurus 605 in .357/38, blued? stainless?

I think blued would be more concealable, what's the main reason you think to go stainless vs. blued or vice versa?

Also do I want a high-viz front sight or standard front sight?

Thanks.

Last edited by salukipv1; 04-07-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Taurus?
Smith & Wesson?
Ruger?

Also how does a .38+P compare to a .357mag?
From a quick glance even the +P seems quite a bit less than the .357mag, sure it'll take care of a snake, but what about a home invader? stop him? wound him?

Call me old fashion but I like the look of a pistol with a hammer vs. hammerless? Any reason for one or the other?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

loaded question...

but i'll take a shot at tryin to help....

to me, and my opinion, handguns are a very personal weapon. if a handgun doesnt feel right to the shooter, its over...dont know if your an archer..but same with a bow grip..

my advice, head to a gunshop...handle every handgun they'll let you...your hand is gunna fall in love with a couple. a couple will stand out that just "feel good" and point naturally...and there will be some that just plain out feel awkward due to thickness, grip angle, grip length, weight of the piece, etc etc...

im not real big on "snake loads" never fired one, but my understanding is after a REALLY short distance they are useless...and even a snake on the ground shooting #11 shot or whatever (i know its super fine shot) im just not real convinced that its gunna do a real good job..could..i dont know..

i dont have snake problems...and honestly, wouldnt kill one that i didnt absolutely need to. a snake that strikes at you got you before your drawing and shooting it...

so my thoughts are forget the snake loads...if you wanna shoot a snake, shoot it with a regular round...the distance snake loads MIGHT be effective is close enough that hitting one with a bullet shouldnt be hard...talking 10ft or less i bet..so id just say carry it loaded with bullets...then if you ever need it for true self defense, you arent shooting a criminal with snake loads on accident..

a compact 40 can be a handful...even for expirienced shooters...then again, compact handguns period are more difficult to shoot than a larger one...but a smaller one carries better than a larger one...gotta figure out what you like and that sorta deal...

if i were looking at a standard sized revolver (not a snub nose) id go 357mag no question about it...you can still shoot 38s to practice..and can shoot 38+Ps no problem if recoil of the mag is too much...

bigger/more powerful rounds are nice...BUT a big bullet that misses its target is useless...a small bullet put where it needs to be is going to be more effective than a big bullet that missed...

hammerless guns can only be shot double action. that typically means a long, heavy trigger pull. a gun with a hammer can be ****ed back before shooting turning it to single action...short trigger pull...single action is easier for most people to shoot as your not pulling the heavy trigger that long distance....im a little different than alot...my double action 1st round from my sig is where it needs to be...but, ive trained alot to be able to do that...(my sig is a semi auto pistol with a hammer that is double action on the first shot then the rest are single action as the hammer is ****ed when the gun is fired)

alot of things to consider and think about...i dont know how you plan to carry it...i dont know when you'll carry it etc etc...and dont know much about snake loads to actually help...but i cant imagine them being effective very far off...and even if they are, i just dont have a reason to kill a snake wether its under my boot or 50yds away...thats just me..
Old 03-23-2010, 03:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

S&W Model 60 2" .357 5 shot load first 2 or 3 with snake shot when in the field.Get back to the truck and put the real deal back in it .can also shoot full house .357 for personal defense.If you roll your own you can go up in shot size for the 'nakes.JMHO.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Shot shell loads can be very effective at close ranges. A hunting buddy loaded # 6s for his .44, and was deadly on close range rabbits with it.
Off course if the snake is a threat, it is probably very close. A .38 wheel gun is very versatile with handloads or the wide variety available off the shelf. The model 60 is a great little gun, available with a 3" bbl. for a bit more versatility and accuracy than the shorter barrel version. Be aware that the original model 60 (stainless) or 36 (blued version) are .38 only, not .357 as someone else mentioned. Newer versions in a slightly larger version are .38 or .357. That makes alot of bark in a pretty small package. I agree, the "judge" is an oversized whatsit.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think you are asking for one pistol that will do two different things...

I used a .357 Ruger Blackhawk for a few years on snakes while fishing and as mentioned, if the snake was more than 15 feet or so away it didn't have the desired effect...

I bought a Ruger Mark II in stainless steel...Shooting CCI Hollowpoints, it's deadly on snakes...

My concealed pistol is a .40 Glock...
Old 03-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with mauser06. Spend a little time in a gun shop and see which ones fit. I personally perfer 9mm, but thats me. My wife has a Taurus 9mm, and it's pink. Yuk. I told her no ugly guns in the house. LOL

My concelead pistol is a 9mm Beretta
Old 03-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot pds during the months of May, June and again in AUG-Oct. We see rattlesnakes all the time out on the prairie. Watching someone (regardless of how good they think they are) try to shoot a moving rattlesnake at 15 paces is a hoot. Even snake shot loads often just make a bunch of noise and do little to interfere with said snake. If you are really concerned take along a small .410 shotgun, otherwise even semi auto pistols with snake loads are better than nothing. You will have to cycle them manually though.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Weather or not snake/bird shot loads will function through a semi. auto must vary between guns and ammo.? Because my snake loads function through my .45 Kimber just like any other load.
As far as CCW, I like my Ruger LCR .38 hammerless. It can slip in or out of a pocket with less of a chance of snagging. But, I don't always carry it, sometimes I feel like a nut and carry the .45 auto. IMO, anything is better than a .380 auto.. Is the .38 special enough, depends on many factors, but it'll more than likely stop someone in their tracks.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

As Mouser stated, pistols are very personal.
What works for me may not work for you.
I personally hate the way a Glock feels in my hands but have many friends that love them.
Go to a shop and hold several guns.
Decide if you want a semi or revolver (if you're using it for any defense I would want the high capacity mag in a semi).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.