Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
what caliber levergun do i want? >

what caliber levergun do i want?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what caliber levergun do i want?

Old 11-21-2010, 09:15 AM
M92
Spike

Originally Posted by jrbsr
I second this.
A 30-30 is the way to go.
LEVERevolution®

All Other Lever Loads are Pointless!

LEVERevolution is the most exciting thing to ever happen to lever gun ammunition. Hornady, the leader in ballistic technology, brings you an innovation in ammunition performance featuring state of the industry patented, FTX (Flex Tip eXpanding) bullets that are SAFE in your tubular magazine. Its higher ballistic coefficient delivers dramatically flatter trajectories for fantastic downrange energy increases and amazing bullet expansion at all ranges. It truly is an evolution in lever gun ammunition!
  • Up to 250 feet per second faster muzzle velocity than conventional lever gun loads.
  • Exceptional accuracy and overwhelming downrange terminal performance.
  • Patented FTX bullet featuring Flex Tip Technology.
  • Up to 40% more energy than traditional flat point loads.
The innovative LEVERevolution bullet design may require a newer magazine follower to provide best possible functioning of the last round out of the magazine. These magazine followers may be purchased from the manufacturer of your firearm. For optimum performance we do not recommend storing LEVERevolution ammunition in tubular magazines for extended periods, as this can result in tip deformation.
Hornady LEVERevolution ammunition is loaded with FTX bullets.
FTX®

JMHO

Id done some reading on some of their pistol caliber rifle stuff, and it just doesnt sit right with me me. Take their .357 mag stuff. Their site says that it looses 200 ft/s from the muzzle to 50 yards, then another almost 500 ft/s from fifty yards to a hundred yards. I don't know it's ballistic coefficient so I couldnt get any good solid numbers. But used every coefficient for every typical round in that same weight and don't get anywhere near that much loss.

So I won't spend good money on something untill I can be sure their information is correct.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am thinking on picking up a 35 Remington for myself. I hear that reloading can really help to get the most from that rifle, and being able to load 38/357 pistol bullets sounds like fun too.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:37 AM
M92
Spike

Yeah you can. But unless you are loading lead you arent gonna save more than about 20 bucks per thousand. And I would reckon that you would have to drop your velocity way down using lead to keep away from fowling.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Spike

with that 35rem i reload 158gr. hornady FPXTP's for varmit hunting
Old 11-23-2010, 06:56 AM
Spike

Everyone of those rifles will kill deer. However, none of those rifles will kill a deer "DEADER" than any of the others. If your shot is placed correctly, all those rifles will kill a deer. All those rifles will shoot "roughly" in the same ranges as each other and are PERFECT for your hunting situation. The lever action rifles you mentioned are PERFECT for " in woods " hunting. If you are concerened about recoil, I would say go with the 30-30. It achieves the same result as the other two at roughly the same ranges...and with LESS recoil. If you have no issues with recoil, I say get what you want, I have all three rounds including a couple other lever combos. I will say this also, Of all the levers that I have for the type of hunting you intend to do, the 30-30 is the cheapest to buy ammo for. So if you are looking for a good killing rifle at ranges less than 200 yards, recoil is minimal, and ammo is cheap......the 30-30 wins hands down when compared with all the rest.