HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   what is it worth. q (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/319939-what-worth-q.html)

bigtim6656 03-19-2010 05:03 PM

what is it worth. q

You guys will love this,

:action-smiley-099::action-smiley-099:

Ok I was a local pawn shop a few weeks back. The owner showed me a weatherby 308 bolt action rifle. All black with a milspec scope. This thing was long to the scope had to be 2 to 4 inchs longer then most scopes. It had the sniper turrets where you adjust without covers and it had very fine adjustments. The gun was a mid lenth rifle with no front sights. Now here is the stupid part. I was wanting a 308 Ar and honestly blew it off and did not even really care about it. The more I looked at it the more I wanted it. The 2 weeks I spent in Florida I could not get it out of my head. SO I want it and have no idea off the model of the gun or scope:action-smiley-099: he wants 875 for it and it looked real clean. What is the lowest a weatherby with a milspec scope be worth. Either is cheap and the scope seems high end. He said the guy needed money bad and he got it cheap my question is it worth 875.
I am going to call tomorrow and ask about the model and such but I think they will tell me to come down as most of them do. I do not want to drive 30 miles one way just to find out the model and find out it is worth less then what it will cost me. I know no model no scope info but what would the gun be worth and what is the bottom dollar on the scope be given it is milspec and looks like a good scope?????????:hit: no burn me for not knowing what it is :action-smiley-099:

SchuLace 03-19-2010 06:00 PM

There could be a huge different in the scope. Just because it is milspec(mildot?) doesn't mean anything. Figure out what it is and then it will be alot easier to let you know what a good price is.

bigtim6656 03-19-2010 06:23 PM

I figured any idea on the gun. I figure the scope wll be a good one or get replaced. If I can get it somewhere near the rifles value.

Originally Posted by SchuLace (Post 3598253)
There could be a huge different in the scope. Just because it is milspec(mildot?) doesn't mean anything. Figure out what it is and then it will be alot easier to let you know what a good price is.

mauser06 03-22-2010 01:55 PM

gun could be a Vangaurd...likely a vanguard or its could be a STEAL...

like you know, without a model and scope model and specs, its impossible to say...weatherby vanguards are pretty inexpensive when new...and i have no idea what a "milspec" scope is...mildot reticles?? could be a 100$ scope with mildots and target knobs...

so you could be looking at a 500$ setup when new...which would be worth 300$ or so....

and coming from a pawn shop...it very well could be...although they might sell guns and be a little knowledgeable, the gun got a weatherby name and got a "sniper rifle look" so he could be lookin to hose someone that thinks they are getting an expensive sweet setup...

be careful...do your homework...

CommonSense 03-22-2010 04:20 PM

Most of these "sniper setups" that I have come across are nothing more than a hunting rifle (Ruger M77, Remington 700, etc.) with a large scope on top, and the gun shop will charge out the ying yang for it.

I would stay away from it, don't be tempted by sly terminology.

While the Weatherby Vanguard is a fine rifle for hunting, I think putting a big ole scope on top and calling it a sniper rig is the height of deceit.