Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Plain ( non ribbed) shotguns trap/birds? >

Plain ( non ribbed) shotguns trap/birds?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Plain ( non ribbed) shotguns trap/birds?

Old 03-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Plain ( non ribbed) shotguns trap/birds?

I just picked a sweet old Ithaca M37 in nice condition. Ive had a few of these in the past but I always wanted a real old one w/ the ring tailed forend. anyway I wanna use this gun for trap and maybe some ducks (on a really nice day) but it just has a plain 28"barrel choked to MOD, all the guns Ive used for trap and birds have had ribbed barrels , are plain barrels harder to swing and aim? it feels kinda front light and Im thinking w/out the rib it should hit high? How do you guys think this thing will do at the range? Thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot sporting clays with an old double barrel. Once I got used to it I was able to hit about as consistently as everybody else using automatics and O/U's. Though I just do it for fun and not serious.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JeffS
I've shot sporting clays with an old double barrel. .
SxS? did it have a rib down the middle?
Old 03-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

It will hit right where you point it, wont shoot high or low.
When shooting clays it will probably work better for you shooting low gun instead of a pre mount.

Congrats on the purchase of a great gun!
Old 03-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

If one can afford it....send it to Scott Carlson at (Carlson chokes) in Atwood Kansas to have the barrel cut to the length you want and have screw in chokes installed. Then on to Simmons to have a rib installed.

It makes for a spendy shotgun but a seriously fine gun in the end.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys , I cant wait to get out and shoot this thing, the action is so slick and I cant get over how clean it is. the serial # is in the600000s im gonna look up its age. the only thing thats kinda buggin me is the previous owner installed a tang sight I guess for slug use, kinda looks outta place to me, but it folds down and out of the way so no biggie. Ill take some pics and post later.

Last edited by DeerandbearhoG; 03-19-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

my model 50 winchesters dont have a rib...theyve both shot more point of aim and center than my screw in chokes and vent rib guns...just looked at my 30" full choked m50 patterns..it shots dead center and the majority of the pattern is high at 20yds i think it was...

i dont know what it is about the m50..but its "my gun" my buddies know when i got that thing in my hands and they hear it fire, i likely killed somethin if i had half a decent shot..its just "that gun" for me...i dont know if its the plain barrel(only shotgun i shoot that has a plain barrel) stock, or what....

but, i am a natural wing shooter...not tooting my own horn..im far from great, but i can kill movin critters if i got a good shot..its just really natural to me...moving targets with a rifle and pistol are the same thing..i can just point shoot well...

ive limited on grouse with my 21" 870 turkey gun (mod choke and grouse loads..) so maybe it aint the gun...i dont know...

but the plain barrel dont bother me none...
Old 03-20-2010, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

some pics of the new old shotty , this thing is so clean you can eat off it.barrel and receiver match too. I dated it back to around 1956-57!
Plain ( non ribbed) shotguns trap/birds?-m37-001.jpg

Plain ( non ribbed) shotguns trap/birds?-m37-002.jpg

Plain ( non ribbed) shotguns trap/birds?-m37-003.jpg
Old 03-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks real good congrats! Now get out and shoot it!
Old 03-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
Looks real good congrats! Now get out and shoot it!
Thanks! trap range opens next month cant wait! Maybe even some CQC w/ a long beard in may????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.