Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Glock Magazine question >

Glock Magazine question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Glock Magazine question

Old 03-17-2010, 12:17 AM
Spike

Default Glock Magazine question

Hi guys, I have a several glocks for home defense, I always keep my magazines fully loaded at all times in the safe 24/7..Is this bad? I heard somewhere that you should only keep it half full? would it be bad for the spring?? Thanks for any answers...
Old 03-17-2010, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I read an article a while ago on that very subject. The author showed that, indeed, leaving a mag fully loaded will eventually weaken the magazine spring. He showed that leaving the mag partially loaded, (ie. 10 rounds in 15 round mag.) cut this way down and lengthened spring life. That's what I do. Additionally, since I have more than one magazine I rotate them.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got a Model 20 with several extras heard the opposite,said mulitple loadings of the mags is what makes the spring weak .Keep mine full all of the time .Been like that for several years no problems yet .(I Hope)
Old 03-17-2010, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a deputy sheriff I have 3 fully loaded magazines on me at all times. My last department issue Beretta went 10 years before it was replaced.....no problems with the magazine springs.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard both sides of that discussion for a long time. My take: NBD. When I had my 23, I keep several spare,fully loaded mags available at all times. This transpired over about a 4 year period. When finally used, I had zero issues.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

i wont trust it...some say theres no problem...but ive seen it in pistols, ARs and shotguns...a weak spring can and will cause feeding problems...

my fix? get more mags and rotate them...every week or 2 i unload my loaded mags, drop the floor plate from them and let the springs be fully relaxed and load ones that were being relaxed...

if a spring is feeling weak, i replace it...i replace my shotgun spring every year or 2...springs are cheap...my life isnt...when i need that gun, i may need every single round i can fit...im not risking it...

what i do may seem way overboard to most people...but to each their own....
Old 03-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

As a federal officer I concur with Vahuntr, I have 3 fully loaded magazines for 12 yrs now and have never had a problem with them.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a G23 bought in 2004 with two mags. At least one of the two, often both, have been kept fully loaded ever since. No issues, and I shoot it often.

I would rather buy new mags every 6-7 years than get in a home defense situation and pay with my life for not having the extra 4-5 rounds available.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

All of my mags are fully loaded. Have not ever had a single problem.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

leaving the rounds in the mag will indeed hurt the spring, rotate your mags from time to time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.