HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   choke tube seized in place (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/318966-choke-tube-seized-place.html)

tschaef 03-07-2010 01:58 PM

choke tube seized in place

Wanted to pattern for turkey season and can't get my modified tube out of my Mossberg. Broke the nibs off the tool that came with the gun!
Its only been there since last summer, and I did clean the threads and put a drop of oil on threads when installing.
I've soaked it for a couple hours in Liquid Wrench penetrating oil but still stuck.
Any suggestions?
Would it hurt anything to heat my muzzle with a propane torch and try?

Thanks in advance

jeepkid 03-07-2010 02:21 PM

Heat her up, but don't go crazy with the heat...

bigalc 03-07-2010 02:29 PM

Go to Trulock Chokes website, and look under "Basic Choke info". They have a good plan on how to get a stuck choke removed. They don't say what to use as a heat source, but if it was my gun I would try a hair dryer or a toaster oven before I would use a propane torch. Too much heat in one small spot could ruin your barrel.

Big Z 03-07-2010 03:34 PM

Mebbe dip 'er in a container of boiling water. Use grease, not oil, on your threads.

tschaef 03-08-2010 04:41 AM

even heat didn't do the trick. Using a quarter in vice grips and quarter is bending. Don't understand it, I've been switching chokes in this gun for 20yrs and never had this problem.
Getting good patterns out to 30yrds with turkey loads so now trying to decide if I should take it to a gunsmith, or just toss the other tubes and just consider it a fixed choke.
Prob take it in though because turkey choke cost me over 50$ just last year.

Swampdog 03-08-2010 05:04 AM

See if you can find a can of Kroil oil.That is some of the best penetrating oil on the market.soak the threads really good and try again.If you have a wire welder you might be careful enough to dab a couple of little goobers on the inside of the tube .Then maybe you can use some kind of needle nose pliers and open them enough to try to un screw the tube from the inside.Be sure and check with the other guy's on here and make sure I'm not sending you off in the wrong direction.

tschaef 03-08-2010 05:23 AM

Got it :-)
If my mom asks why her stainless steel spatula handle is bent and has vice grip marks on it you know nothing ;-)
Thanks guys

8mm/06 03-08-2010 12:55 PM

For future reference, definitely keep the Kroil advice in mind, and also the product called Break Free.
Next time let it soak in at least overnight.

I was given a beatiful Savage Model 99 years ago, and only after a gunsmith told me it was a take-down model did I try to get the barrel off. It took 2 days of a good soak in Break Free but it did come off without undue effort.

And as said earlier, Kroil is also a very fine product. But in stubborn cases don't be in a hurry ... give it 24 hours ...

driftrider 03-09-2010 05:10 PM

Follow the advice above, but if after a couple days drenched in Kroil it still doesn't come out, I'd take it to a gunsmith. Oh, and buy yourself a better choke tube wrench. Most of the time the one that comes with the shotgun is not so good.

After you get the tube out, get yourself some copper based anti-seize grease. You can get it in any auto parts store in a 1oz or so tube. I use the stuff for both choke tubes and muzzleloader breech plugs. Doesn't take much, and it's designed specifically for high temp applications (it's used most for coating the threads of automotive spark plugs ).

Mike

liquidorange 03-09-2010 06:15 PM

soak it in some PB blaster spray. BE patient. spray it up everyday for a couple of days. then try a good wrench.