Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Opinions wanted on Browning BPS! >

Opinions wanted on Browning BPS!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions wanted on Browning BPS!

Old 03-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned both, and will readily say that I would take the BPS before an 870 Express any day. A closer comparison to the BPS would be the 870 Wingmaster, and in the end I would still take the BPS.
The BPS will have excellent fit and finish, smooth action, durability to last a lifetime, and just plain look better. It will also be about 1/4lb or so heavier, more than likely will have a little bit longer reach (1/4"-1/2") to the forearm, and it will be more difficult to tear down all the way. On the plus side with the bottom eject feature you will not have to tear it down as much unless you just want to.

Having said all of that I would recommend a Ithaca 37 in whatever gauge you prefer. Points where you want, lightweight, smooth, bottom eject, durable, and 100% made in the USA (currently Ohio).
Old 03-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I own both too! There is nothing wrong with the Rem 870 but, the BPS IS that much better! Smoother, just plain better in every catagory!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own both, and there are occasions where I'll prefer one over the other. I think it's probably important to note that I'm comparing a very well-maintained 1970s-vintage 870 Wingmaster to a 1990s BPS. My newer 870 Express is a bit clunkier-feeling than my Wingmaster.

In a goose blind, I'll take the BPS every time. Bottom eject is a bonus, the BPS comes straight up and onto my shoulder.

For pheasants - when I'm not carrying my favorite O/U - the Wingmaster fits the bill. I'm not as comfortable with the safety as I am the tang safety on the BPS (and my O/U), but it feels better coming up and swinging into a bird than the heavier-feeling BPS.

Overall, for most purposes outside the goose pit, I'd probably give an edge to the Wingmaster over the BPS. Both are excellent shotguns. If you're a lefty, I'd probably pick the BPS.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

I love my bps and i have seen some used ones for pretty good prices. Mine was $200 used in very good condition.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:42 AM
Fork Horn

While the 870 was a good gun, the BPS was a GREAT gun in my opinion. My BPS threw an incredible patter out to 40 yards, something my 870 would only do to about 30 yards or so. I also loved the trigger on the BPS and of course the wood. But I moved up to the Browning Gold now and love that even more. I got rid of both the 870 and the BPS, but have nothing bad to say about either of them.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by LifexIsxHunting
I love my bps and i have seen some used ones for pretty good prices. Mine was $200 used in very good condition.
Wow, I wish I could find a good used one for $200! All the used ones I have seen (in the Upland Special model) are $400+.

Thanks again everybody for the advice. Going to a gun show this weekend, and if I dont find one there I am going to order one through Gunbroker.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

I own both. I've had a few 870's, bought the first one in 1965. My current 870 is a dedicated turkey gun. I've had a BPS since the early-mid 80's, primarily use it for waterfowl. As far as reliabilty both are very good. With the bottom eject the BPS trigger group stays cleaner, no opening on the side of the receiver to let debris and rain, snow, etc. in.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned both, and I have to agree with the majority and say that I'd buy another BPS long before I'd buy an 870. The Wingmasters are pretty good as the currents 870's go, but the Express is far inferior to the BPS in most every way. The last two 870 Express's I've owned I had problems with. One wouldn't always lock up unless you really slammed the slide forward, and the other would sometimes not unlock after firing and wouldn't allow the slide to be operated unless the slide release was operated. On the other hand, the BPS I had (and wish I still had, but I was hard up for cash and had to sell it) was silky smooth. It had FAR better fit and finish that even the Wingmaster, and for me it fit like a glove. As for reach, the slide is a little farther forward than the 870. I didn't have any problems, but I'm 6'4". I suppose a short guy might have problems, but we're not talking about a major difference.

Mike
Old 03-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was at Fin feather fur outfitters in Ashland, Ohio this week. They have 2 used BPS shotguns for less than $400