Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Opinions wanted on Browning BPS! >

Opinions wanted on Browning BPS!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions wanted on Browning BPS!

Old 03-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Spike

Default Opinions wanted on Browning BPS!

I own a Remington 870 that I use for birds and rabbits, and it has always done a fine job. No problems, easy to clean, lots of available parts to change, upgrade, or repair if needed. In short, a fine and versatile shotgun.
However, because I shoot left-handed, it has always been a minor inconvenience that it ejects to the right, and the slide release is on the right.
I am thinking about buying a Browning BPS because it will solve both of these issues. (And no, I can't just get a left-handed 870, because I am looking for a short-barreled quail and rabbit gun, and the only LH 870's you can get are 26" and 28" barrels.)
Has anyone out there owned both an 870 and a BPS that can give me their thoughts about the two guns compared to each other?
Also, I know the BPS has been around a long time, but I have never heard much about its reliability. Any BPS owners with good or bad stories to tell?
Thanks,
Allen
Old 03-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

i've read that the slug version is pretty accurate.

hard to be an 870 for reliability in a pump though, or at least that's the word on the street.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned several of both the 870 and the BPS. I currently own a BPS and Browning Gold.
The BPs's I have owned were smoother than either of the 870's .
Ever shove a shell in the tube of the 870 but not far enough? Or short stroke the pump? It will lock up the action... not on the BPS.
The BPS can unload the tube without jacking the pump, the shell retainer can be operated with your thumb.
Having said that I do agree there are way more 870s built than BPSs
Old 03-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Browning BPS is as good as it gets!
Old 03-07-2010, 04:18 PM
bigcountry

I got a turkey hunting BPS. I have to say its smooth as silk, top notch. But, I am having trouble jumping over to a tang safety. If I grew up with a tang safety, I am sure it would be the cat's meow. Also wish you could totally disassemble the the BPS. Your not supposed too. I haven't had too. Maybe its worrying about nothing.

Still like it. Tad overpriced at 600 dollars.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me the BPS seems stronger and better built. I use a BPS as a turkey set up myself. After hunting with the BPS a couple years I sold the 870.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Spike

Thanks for the answers. Especially Hairtrigger and VAhuntr. Nice to get answers from people who have owned both!
Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

I own both. Both are bombproof, but th BPS is a heavy little bugger. I have actually come to prefer my Ithaca 37. It is also a bottom eject, safety can be rigged for either side, and it is significantly lighter. New ones are being manufactured now, but excellent used ones are easily found for around 400.00. I am primarily an upland game hunter, so the weight is a significant factor.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

I love my BPS. I bought it used close to 20 years ago. It has offered excelent service with only 1 failure/break in all that time. The roll pins in the slide broke but at that point I had upwards of 10,000 rounds through it. I grew up shooting Winchester model 12s left handed ,today right now if offered equal guns mod.12 or BPS id have a hard time picking 1 over the other. The BPS is actually an "improved"(cheaper to make) Ithica mod 37 which saw service as a combate shotgun well into Viet Nam and was replaced by the 870.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

I actually have had the opposite problems as hairtrigger. I grew up with 870's and never had any trouble but bought a bps to match my abolt. I had nothing but trouble with it. I was short stoking it all of the time. Also you can unload the magazine on an 870 without bringing all of them out the action too! You just push the shells into the mag a little and press the stopper down and the shell will drop. I know alot of guys love the bps's but I will stick with my 870's. jmo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.