Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New rifle

Old 03-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Spike

Default New rifle

Just picked up a Ruger #1 Boddington Lion edition in .375 Ruger. It has matte blue metal and a real nice, satin finished, straight grained circassion walnut stock. Just wondering if anyone else has one, or another rifle chambered for .375 Ruger.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, but I'd love one! To me #1's are just plain great. Word on the street is that the .375 Ruger is here to stay. Congrats and good luck with your new toy.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

A friend of mine got the whole set and loves 'em. What's not to like about a #1? Oh, by the way, buy a Lead Sled and about a 100 pounds of shot BEFORE you start to play with it. I learned that one the hard way with my #1 in .458 Win Mag!
Old 03-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

I hate to even admit this, but I let my #1 in .458 go--I have no idea where my brain was at that moment--I did go ahead and get the #1 in 30-06 Iv'e wanted for years and another in .204 Ruger, my new ground hog gun, laminated stainless, bull barrel---I also had one in 45-70 and bought a decellerator slip on pad--I'm crazy about the number one's but can't figure out why Ruger puts a relatively thin hard rubber recoil pad on them, the one on my .458 was no thicker or softer than the one on the .204. Apparently, Ruger feels number one buyers are manly men----
Old 03-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Spike

The Limbsaver 10001 pre-fit pad is listed as fitting on the wood stocked #1's. I'm going to try that first. The last rifle of the set, the "Elephant", will be in .450 NE. They haven't been produced yet, but I've lucked into finding a guy that is going to be getting a couple that are not already committed, and he's going to let me know when he gets them. I'd love to have one in a NE caliber. When they're all done, he will have the whole set of five with matching serial numbers. AWESOME! There are only 250 of each rifle being produced.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:04 AM
Fork Horn

Agree...Limbsavers and at least two bags of shot between you and the rifle, lots of power in that cartridge..and remember the law of physics, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction!! Not that I'm nosey but what are you planning on drilling with that rifle??? Or will it be a plinker and steel banger......
Old 03-04-2010, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Stay away from all that lead on the lead sled. That energy has to go somewhere and you could just end up cracking you buttstock. IMO if you can't handle the recoil you should not have gotten a big bore. I know you never said you couldn't. And I know sighting in a big bore off the bench is no fun. But when I do, I usually use a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad. Under hunting conditions the recoil seems now where near as bad.
I long for the day when I have enough cash to get me a SxS in 375 H&H or 416 Rigby.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack
Like #1's don't like Boddington or anything with his name on it, the matte blue finish, or the 375 Ruger. Pretty much posers IMO.

Take his name off of it, finish the metal and wood like it should be, chamber it in 375 H&H.........and I'd be on board.
Couple of questions -

Just wondering what you've got against Boddington. I met him when he was speaking at our local BPS, and he seems like a down to earth guy. Answered everyones questions before he left, and very knowledgable about any kind of African hunting. If you've seen his elephant hunting DVD, it's obvious that he'll stand shoulder to shoulder with the PH or other hunters when the average guy would probably be soiling something.

Also, I understand that long time 375 H & H users may find it hard to try something new, but as a DG cartridge, the ballistic differences are insignificant. An elephant or buff isn't going to notice that the bullet may be travelling 100 or 200 fps slower. Just wondering what your resoning is.

Finish is a matter of personal preference. I like the more subdued look of the metal and wood on the commemeratives.

Last edited by daddywpb; 03-04-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack
Its a re-invented wheel that accomplishes nothing, yet wannabe PH's like Borington will claim it's the bees knees on all that is the dark continent. It was invented in an attempt to make someone feel like they needed it.
No, it was invented to offer African hunters, who often have to track herds of elephant or cape buffalo for many miles in a single day, the use of a lighter, shorter, .30/06 length action that is the ballistic equivalent of the .375 H&H. And it accomplishes that very well.

The .375 Ruger is here to stay. The .416 Ruger is already a reality, and you can bet that it will be follwed by the .458 Ruger, also chambered in shorter, lighter rifles. Wait for it.

Boddington is an author, writer and hunter, and very entertaining to watch. I have never heard him utter a single word that would make me think he thought about, dreamed about or had any interest in becoming a PH.