Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rusty guns

Old 03-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default rusty guns

i am having a problem with rust on my handguns and longuns, i keep them in a safe in my bedroom closet. i take them out once a month to clean and reoil, i took them out this morning and a few have rust on them. i have 8 long guns and 2 have rust on the sights, trigger, and side, the rust is speckled on them not bad and it did come off mostly but i can still see a little more. i have 3 handguns and one of them has a rusty ejector, and recoil spring. i did notice that its the guns i have yet to shoot that have rusted but i take them all out about once a month to reoil. i use barricade, and rem oil are they good oils? i keep a humidity gauge in my closet, it stays around 50-60% is that high? do i need to change oil or get a dehumidifier?, thanks for any help.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would quit trying to figure out things at this point and put each gun in a silicon gun sock. Then I'd try to figure out the moisture etc...

Man I hope I never have this problem.

Tom
Old 03-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a box of silica gel desiccant which keeps moisture in check.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy some loose desiccant and fill a sock with it. Then hang it in the safe. That way all of the desiccant will be exposed and not just the top like it would be if it was in a bucket/cup. Then use some Birchwood/Casey Barricade on all medtal parts and call it a day.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

In addition to the desiccant try putting a Golden Rod in there too.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is what Statjunk was recommending (I use them on all my rifles and shotguns).

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23
Old 03-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Certainly need to do something about the moisture in the air- at least the dessicant, Rem oil is very good, but you may want to go to a long term storage protectant like Shooter Choice Rust Prevent. The silocone sock on top of that wont hurt. Too many people try to get by with as little as they can, instead of all they can.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:05 AM
Spike

Wear a light pair of gloves when handling guns in your house for cleaning. If I even look at a gun, it rusts, or so it it seems. As little skin contact (sweat=salt) when cleaning is a good idea.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:40 AM
bigcountry

I never heard of rusting like this for 50% humidity. Espeically oiling every month. Even with folks living in Florda.

I would change oils. If your seeing that amount of rusting even reoiling every month, no amount of golden rods, or socks will help you.

Also make sure your not overoiling or using WD40.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Buy a Goldenrod de-humidifier for your gun safe:

http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.