HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Hogue full bedded block stocks? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/318766-hogue-full-bedded-block-stocks.html)

podunk kennels 03-03-2010 04:50 PM

Hogue full bedded block stocks?

Im about to build a medium to long range hunting rifle on a 700 long action and ive been looking at stocks, the mcmillan is too steep for me so i looked into the hogues, I like the way their overmold feels but dont have any experience with em, any advice?

bigbulls 03-03-2010 05:11 PM

I have never been a huge fan of McMillan stocks. Way over priced for what they are IMO.

The Hogues are decent but there are better for about the same money.

I personally like HS Precision stocks or if that is still a little to much then look at the Bell and Carlson medalist stocks. Both utilize an aluminum bedding platform.

podunk kennels 03-03-2010 05:21 PM

I have a friend that uses nothing but bell and carlson and they love em, Ive handled a hogue stock on an 870 shotgun and it felt good. Are hs precision similar in price to hogue? Is there a big advantage to aluminum bed block over pillar bedding in a hunting rifle?

podunk kennels 03-04-2010 04:05 AM

Its not my budget its my practicality, im not paying for a mcmillan, ill probably go with b&c but I like the hogue grips feeling, im left handed shooting a right handed bolt gun also and the b&c's ive handled werent that comfortable to me.

jeepkid 03-04-2010 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack (Post 3588402)
So you're left handed and are going to build a right handed custom rifle? Maybe you should take another look at your "practicality"

Nothing wrong with that...actually easier and MORE practical if shooting a single shot bolt...

Never used a Hogue, but have HS, Manners, B&C, and McMillan and they all can be made to shoot great is the smith does the bedding good and threads the tube on good...imo.

jeepkid 03-04-2010 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack (Post 3588603)
You mean if the lad intends to sell it.....if that's the case, why bother...............

Nope, never said anything about resale. Go grab one of your LR rigs, set it up on the bipod and rear bag, slide behind her prone and cycle the bolt and reload with your trigger hand...now switch and cycle the bolt and reload with your offhand...Thats why they make right bolt left port actions...

podunk kennels 03-04-2010 01:29 PM

jeeps right, i hardly use a magazine and reload with my right hand a left handed rifle feels akward to me ive never owned one, my question was on stocks not about the dexterity jack.

podunk kennels 03-04-2010 07:41 PM

My question was on an item that i have no experience with. As far as the dexterity of my rifle i bet you Im not the only one that shoots a right handed rifle left handed. I can shoot as fast with my 700 as you can or anyone else with their bolt guns. If your answer to my original post is that the hogue is a piece of junk i appreciate your honest opinion. As far as the rest of it sounds like a bunch of hot air to me. You girls sure do get your panties in a ruffle easy. Just curious...... do you have any experience with the hogue stock? Have you ever fired a left handed bolt gun?

nyorange 03-04-2010 08:39 PM

Had both the hogue overmolded on a ruger 77mkii and a B&C medalist on a 700, and they each had full aluminum bedding block. If your on a budget I wouldn't recomend either. While they were both good stocks and looked good neither would shoot any better than a good glass bedding job which you can do yourself for 25 bucks. Since your working with a 700 action and those are one of the easiest of all to glass bed thats what I would recomend. Just suggest you get one with a standard wood or laminated stock and bed it yourself. My B&C was purchased for the camo pattern and the hogue because I was a little fearful of bedding ruger actions due to the angled bolt, a problem I have since overcome. Hope it helps.

podunk kennels 03-05-2010 02:15 AM

Thanks ny ill look into that, thats actually useful input.

podunk kennels 03-05-2010 02:28 AM

As for you jack, i asked a question purely bout the stock. If your hung up on how I shoot my rifles thats your problem, point is ive been putiing meat on the table for quite some time. If someone is most comfortable shooting a levergun sideways while standing on his head then by damn thats how they should shoot. Its sad that you have to change the context of a post to have something to say. If your so smart why not provifde some information as to why hogue sucks? Do you believe because you paid 500 bucks for your stocks they are superior? Come back when you have an intelligent contribution.

P.S I wasnt licking windows on the playground I was giving nerds like you wedgies.

Camosteel 03-05-2010 06:19 AM

I'm looking to restock a 700 in 7MM mag and would really like some input as to which stock to use. I'm down to the Mc's,HS & Hogue. Someone who has used both and can intelligently tell me which one they prefer and why would be appreciated. I like the looks of the HS but that's the only reason I have to go with them at the moment. Why are the Mc's so much more expensive? Why are the Hogue's so much cheaper?

bigcountry 03-06-2010 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack (Post 3588894)
No you cant.... no I don't.... yes I do (hint on the pos remark)Why the f would I? LH sounds groovy on a bench, so I don't have to move my little hand off the trigger, but please spare me the claims at superior firepower. I'm sure you shoot better backwards. In also sure that wipe better that way too...............
Might be time to head back to the playground with the rest of the window lickers.....

window lickers, clues hard to come by, inexactitudes, hint, posting others guns??? Holy cow man, are you going to shave your head and grow a full manchu mustache too?

Why would someone want to mimic a style of another poster no matter how good or bad they are? I mean wouldn't you want to be a leader, not a follower? You know I have watched Larry post for over 10 years on various forums. We have had good conversations and bad ones. But one thing I agree with him on, is you cannot respect someone who is a sticksucker. I have seen a bunch of em, from "wilds", to "16bore", list is endless.

Just curious, why would you want to mimic someone's styles?

MO Archer 03-06-2010 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack (Post 3589862)
now that's good stuff. Mods will hate it, but posters will love a little juice. You lika the juice? I get you the juice......

As a 'poster', I personally think you look like a ****stick for quoting yourself and stroking your own ego.

bigcountry 03-07-2010 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack (Post 3589860)
Why do you care? Do you have a clue? How many aliases do think one person might have? Go build yourself a bow Grizzly Adams.....

Simple really......always use the lowest common denominator. When a young lad cant tell scheit from shinola, and makes up a post so he'll feel better about thinking that a $100 stock is the same as a $400 stock. Let me sum up 99% of the posts here:

"I want to do something stupid... Who else did the same stupid thing as me so I can feel better about it?"

....Do you want to smack my wrist like 16 bore, Relentless, Larry, Wilds,Untouchable,Scat,Lionsit,Tigertit,gunzlut,38 yellowbus,wienerdog.... so on?

and don't steal inexactitudes, that's mine....see ya poopy pants...

I don't know how many alias's you have or anyone has. People that uses alias's are rather sad and pitiful to me. Sure sign of insecurites. I know I would never have one. You can't respect anyone that uses different aliases. When I post, or speak, I want to make sure everyone knows that bigcountry spoke it. Not 16bore, or larry or wilds.

But whatever floats your boat. Just curious why someone would steal larry's style.

podunk kennels 03-07-2010 06:11 PM

So any real life experience with the hogue stocks? I think I might buy the pillar bedded one and glass bed it myself.

bigcountry 03-08-2010 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack (Post 3590490)
I've got one on my Remington 710 and love it!

You know with some of the questions you ask, I can see you sportin a 710. Gun like that would suit you well.

bigcountry 03-08-2010 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack (Post 3590639)
I'm actually going to trade it in on a 770, maybe a Mossberg......

Just curious, is bigcountry your first name or last name? Just to keep it real. Your so righteous, I always find that as an indication of much time spent as the opposite.....

Seriously, you actually bought a 710??? Thats so freakin funny, I have never met someone that was not smart enough to know better. Goes to show you I guess.

A11en 06-23-2010 05:21 PM

Hogue has two offerings. One is the standard base option for $150+. It has the hogue external with a plastic insert. The higher end option (I bought for my Model 70 .30-06) is the Hogue external that is chemically and mechanically bonded to an aircraft grade aluminium frame ($230). I liked the look and feel of it. The only thing I didn't like is there was a .25 inch space between both sides of the barrel and the stock. I was always concerned with water or debris getting in it. I sold the rifle.

podunk kennels 06-23-2010 05:32 PM

Man this thread had sure went south. I decided to go the light rifle direction and bought a used Ti take off Bell and Carlson because I didnt like the reports on the Hogue. I believe I went the right direction because the stock fits me very well and the rifle shoots great.

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 07:20 AM

The faux Ti is indded a lot of rifle for the money. Mine scoped and loaded weighs less than 7 pounds and cost me less than $600 total

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 07:43 AM

Im sure the rifle and stock combination is as far as our agreement will go as mine wears a Weaver K6 in dednutz mounts and is chambered in .270 win.

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 07:44 AM

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 07:55 AM

Sadly I obtained this rifle in the spring so its yet to see a big game hunt. Did manage to whack a few varmints though..

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 07:55 AM

A 110 Accubond at 3300 + fps does not do the swine any good.

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 07:57 AM

Nice bear for the daughter. Whats that stick chambered for?

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 08:01 AM

Does she consider the short mag recoil friendly?

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 08:28 AM

No question about women being shooters, those of them equipped with the proper mentality are proficient hunters. Whats that faux ti chambered in?

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 08:47 AM

Surprising to see a McMillan loony have so many "inferior" Bell and Carlsons around. Hard to believe one can acquire such a great stock for so little cash also.

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 09:01 AM

Mcmillan is top of the line just not affordable to most. Bell and Carlson on the other hand offers a quality product at a reasonable price. To the extent of my testing and use Bell and Carlson stocks are capable of anything a Mcmillan is just not as reputable.

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 09:25 AM

I should have added that all of the above was to my needs. As I am a hunter in the eastern United States the Ti does all I need (andmany other hunters). 500 yards being the high end of any shot I would take and 100 or so much more likely, a lightweight stock that is comfortable and points well is more important than a match grade fully bedded stock. My B&C faux Ti holds an honest 1 or 1.25 MOA with hunting loads and its a pleasure to carry around. Not saying I did a heads up comparison of the two just saying the Ti does all I need it to and hasnt failed me.

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 09:33 AM

Way to go Larry, youve went from following my leading you into posting useful ballistics to old Larry. I have shot numerous Mcmillans that buddies own, sadly I cant afford one to test.

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 09:51 AM

Dont feel like Ive BS'ed anyone lately. If I know something I know it. If I dont Im capable of learning it. What makes the Mcmillan superior?

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 10:07 AM

Yes it could be funnier, you could be posting goofy pics of yourself in shorty shorts again. Now focus Larry I made no claim to extensively testing Mcmillan stocks just that the B&C met all of my requirements for a rifle stock well enough that the Mcmillan couldnt do any better, at least not $300 better. Ive made my opinion known and defended it now defend yours.

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 10:20 AM

While insulting one another is great fun Larry you really should try to stay on topic. I openly admit that Ive shot Mcmillan stocked rifles at the range and that is the end of my "testing" if you will. Now tell me while Mcmillans are so superior. No intelligent reply is equivalent to a forfeit.

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 10:32 AM

Larry I tried, this is going nowhere. What a waste, all of the information you possess. You poor sad fellow.

Colorado Luckydog 06-24-2010 03:54 PM

Hey PK, evrytime Larry gets the ban hammer, it makes it look like someone is arguing with themselves!! LOL
:party0005:

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 04:03 PM

Ha, that is pretty funny. I was hoping hed behave so we could maybe get an interesting discussion going on in this forum.

bigbulls 06-24-2010 04:59 PM

CONGRATULATIONS Colorado.
:party::party::party:

You now join the ranks of an elite club. You are officially the third member of HNI to have Larry name himself after you. Previously it was me and one other member (I'll let him name himself if he wants).

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 05:01 PM

Lol, guess im still a peeon....