Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Hogue full bedded block stocks? >

Hogue full bedded block stocks?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hogue full bedded block stocks?

Old 03-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hogue full bedded block stocks?

Im about to build a medium to long range hunting rifle on a 700 long action and ive been looking at stocks, the mcmillan is too steep for me so i looked into the hogues, I like the way their overmold feels but dont have any experience with em, any advice?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have never been a huge fan of McMillan stocks. Way over priced for what they are IMO.

The Hogues are decent but there are better for about the same money.

I personally like HS Precision stocks or if that is still a little to much then look at the Bell and Carlson medalist stocks. Both utilize an aluminum bedding platform.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

I have a friend that uses nothing but bell and carlson and they love em, Ive handled a hogue stock on an 870 shotgun and it felt good. Are hs precision similar in price to hogue? Is there a big advantage to aluminum bed block over pillar bedding in a hunting rifle?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:05 AM
Typical Buck

Its not my budget its my practicality, im not paying for a mcmillan, ill probably go with b&c but I like the hogue grips feeling, im left handed shooting a right handed bolt gun also and the b&c's ive handled werent that comfortable to me.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack
So you're left handed and are going to build a right handed custom rifle? Maybe you should take another look at your "practicality"
Nothing wrong with that...actually easier and MORE practical if shooting a single shot bolt...

Never used a Hogue, but have HS, Manners, B&C, and McMillan and they all can be made to shoot great is the smith does the bedding good and threads the tube on good...imo.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack
You mean if the lad intends to sell it.....if that's the case, why bother...............
Nope, never said anything about resale. Go grab one of your LR rigs, set it up on the bipod and rear bag, slide behind her prone and cycle the bolt and reload with your trigger hand...now switch and cycle the bolt and reload with your offhand...Thats why they make right bolt left port actions...
Old 03-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

jeeps right, i hardly use a magazine and reload with my right hand a left handed rifle feels akward to me ive never owned one, my question was on stocks not about the dexterity jack.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

My question was on an item that i have no experience with. As far as the dexterity of my rifle i bet you Im not the only one that shoots a right handed rifle left handed. I can shoot as fast with my 700 as you can or anyone else with their bolt guns. If your answer to my original post is that the hogue is a piece of junk i appreciate your honest opinion. As far as the rest of it sounds like a bunch of hot air to me. You girls sure do get your panties in a ruffle easy. Just curious...... do you have any experience with the hogue stock? Have you ever fired a left handed bolt gun?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Had both the hogue overmolded on a ruger 77mkii and a B&C medalist on a 700, and they each had full aluminum bedding block. If your on a budget I wouldn't recomend either. While they were both good stocks and looked good neither would shoot any better than a good glass bedding job which you can do yourself for 25 bucks. Since your working with a 700 action and those are one of the easiest of all to glass bed thats what I would recomend. Just suggest you get one with a standard wood or laminated stock and bed it yourself. My B&C was purchased for the camo pattern and the hogue because I was a little fearful of bedding ruger actions due to the angled bolt, a problem I have since overcome. Hope it helps.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:15 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks ny ill look into that, thats actually useful input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.