Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Barrel Length vs Accuracy >

Barrel Length vs Accuracy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Barrel Length vs Accuracy

Old 03-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bulls, have you done tests to confirm that 1" is all it needs to impart spin and stability on a bullet? Please don't be offended when I ask what is your source of information on this. It just seems both of us are going by limited experiences and hunting shop conversatons. Possibly a good question for full time pistol shooters like Mike V or Brian Pearce from Wolfe publishing.
Don't worry, I'm not ofended. It is something I learned in school and have seen several slow motion videos that prove it to be true. Keep in mind that I am talking about short pistol bullets and not rifle bullets. A longer rifle bullet would probably need a bit more length to become stable... probably about 3-4 inches IDK for sure about that one.

Ransom rest? Right up my alley. Ok, so lets take my 460 and shoot 45 colts thru it. And use a ransome rest. I am game.
If you have one I would be very interested in seeing the results. Keep in mind that your 460 has gain twist rifling in it that starts out at 1 in 100" and ends up at 1 in 20" at the muzzle. To eliminate all variables you would need to have both firearms exactly the same except for barrel length.

Last edited by bigbulls; 03-05-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:48 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by bigbulls
If you have one I would be very interested in seeing the results. Keep in mind that your 460 has gain twist rifling in it that starts out at 1 in 100" and ends up at 1 in 20" at the muzzle. To eliminate all variables you would need to have both firearms exactly the same except for barrel length.
I do have access to a rest. I wrote Brian Pearce about this. I trust his opinion, and bet he has a test source for it.

My 460 is perf center so its not gain twisted.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

Big country i admit that you are a knowledgeable reloader, your approach to my post was what I commented on, you gave the correct answer just not to my question, i did read about making dummy rounds but my question was is there a way to set it exactly as in without dummy rounds. You were entirely correct in what you said, i didnt mean any offense you just came off like i was dumb or shouldnt be reloading. I apologize if i offended you but i say it how i think it. I do appreciate your help on the subject.