Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Barrel Length vs Accuracy >

Barrel Length vs Accuracy

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Barrel Length vs Accuracy

Old 03-03-2010, 01:13 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
At what length does length of a barrel start to have an impact on accuracy. I would assume that a .44 magnum lever action of semi-auto carbine with a 16 or 18 inch barrel is gonna be more accurate at 100 yards than a .44 magnum pistol with a 6 inch barrel.
Good question. Some claim one complete rotation, but I don't buy that. I know for a fact, that a snubnose will never be as accurate as a 6" barrel for 44mag.

So for a 308, with 1 in 12 barrel, I don't think you would want anything shorter than 12". Surprised, i have never read an article on it. I have read alot of articles on what is the dimenishing returns for velocity.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

quote: Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
At what length does length of a barrel start to have an impact on accuracy. I would assume that a .44 magnum lever action of semi-auto carbine with a 16 or 18 inch barrel is gonna be more accurate at 100 yards than a .44 magnum pistol with a 6 inch barrel.
Originally Posted by bigcountry
Good question. Some claim one complete rotation, but I don't buy that. I know for a fact, that a snubnose will never be as accurate as a 6" barrel for 44mag.

So for a 308, with 1 in 12 barrel, I don't think you would want anything shorter than 12". Surprised, i have never read an article on it. I have read alot of articles on what is the dimenishing returns for velocity.
What you guys are referring to has more to do with sight radius with iron sights rather than the inerrant accuracy of a given barrel length.

You also have to take into account the type of firearm that the projectiles are fired from. A lever action rifle has a closed and sealed breach where as the revolver has a gap between the cylinder and the barrel where expanding gasses escape. A revolvers velocities will never be as consistent as they would be out of a sealed breach firearm and thus its accuracy will suffer.

Also take into account the burn rate of the powder. If firing from a 2" barrel the burn rate will need to be faster in order to get equally consistent velocities as you would from a longer barrel with a slower burning powder. If you were to simply fire a cartridge that was developed for use in a 16" barrel carbine out of a 2" barrel the velocity spreads would be extreme to say the least.

There are a host of other factors that will come into play but assuming that the barrel length is sufficient to completely burn the available powder, and all other factors equal, the shorter barrel should be the ore accurate barrel.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

As stated above the longer barrels are only a help with iron sights. Basically with a shorter barrel you have less time to screw up the rifle's inherent accuracy plus the shorter a barrel is the stiffer it is and the more consistently it will vibrate and be affected by outside forces. Same reason why follow thru becomes more and more important the slower the projectile is from blackpowder all the way down to archery where it becomes paramount.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool clear as mud. lol.
I suppose the real proof in the pudding to a large degree is the operator. Bob Londun can hit ballons at 200 yds with a snub nose 38. The same with the other fella, whose name escapes me. ( he does a lot of speed shooting with revolvers)
So I guess length really isn't the end all be all. I was looking at two rifles in particular. The Rem 700 SPS Tactical and the other was the Ruger M77 Tactical. Any preferences?

HA
Old 03-04-2010, 08:50 AM
bigcountry

No, this is incorrect to a point. Many, I mean many tests has been done with snubs and I have yet to seen any that can keep up with my performance center 460.

But I will make you a challenge to compete with mine. We can even put money on it.

I get 2.5MOA performance at 200 yards.

Bulls, the bullet has to stabilize. It has to impart spin enough to stabilize, and a 1/4 won't do that. I guantee you.

Originally Posted by bigbulls
What you guys are referring to has more to do with sight radius with iron sights rather than the inerrant accuracy of a given barrel length.

You also have to take into account the type of firearm that the projectiles are fired from. A lever action rifle has a closed and sealed breach where as the revolver has a gap between the cylinder and the barrel where expanding gasses escape. A revolvers velocities will never be as consistent as they would be out of a sealed breach firearm and thus its accuracy will suffer.

Also take into account the burn rate of the powder. If firing from a 2" barrel the burn rate will need to be faster in order to get equally consistent velocities as you would from a longer barrel with a slower burning powder. If you were to simply fire a cartridge that was developed for use in a 16" barrel carbine out of a 2" barrel the velocity spreads would be extreme to say the least.

There are a host of other factors that will come into play but assuming that the barrel length is sufficient to completely burn the available powder, and all other factors equal, the shorter barrel should be the ore accurate barrel.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

hmmm wonder how much it would cost to have 4-6" hacked off my barrel and recrowned...

26" heavy barrel on a 22-250 is HEAVY lol...but, i like the weight for shooting but hate the weight to carry....but really dont carry it much...so i may as well leave her alone....
Old 03-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Big Country (new nick name = rententless),

Offer your comments to these guys next time.......................

Q: What barrel lengths are Ballisticards calculated for?
A: Most Ballisticards are calculated for 24 inch barrels

http://www.ballisticards.com/faq.htm

As someone said in another thread, just because YOU said it, doesn't make it fact !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-04-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mauser06
hmmm wonder how much it would cost to have 4-6" hacked off my barrel and recrowned...

26" heavy barrel on a 22-250 is HEAVY lol...but, i like the weight for shooting but hate the weight to carry....but really dont carry it much...so i may as well leave her alone....
Probably less then $100...
Old 03-04-2010, 01:27 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Big Country (new nick name = rententless),

Offer your comments to these guys next time.......................

Q: What barrel lengths are Ballisticards calculated for?
A: Most Ballisticards are calculated for 24 inch barrels

http://www.ballisticards.com/faq.htm

As someone said in another thread, just because YOU said it, doesn't make it fact !!!

Ballisticards???? Are you freakin kicking me man??? They are no-bodies. You said all data published. Thats what you said, not some no name card company.

I tell ya what, get yourself a reloading manual or 10. I have almost all of them. Yes, all of them. And every load published has various lengths. You can get a speer that has 22" data, you can get a nolser that has 26" data.

I have seen you post some silly crap on here. And really silly crap on the optics forum, but this one is your silliest.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

So in theory if you had a long barrel that was also stiff then you would get more spin and less barrel whip? Is there an even medium?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.