Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270?

Old 06-17-2003, 07:39 PM

Default 270?

Gotta question for the 270 users.......First off this is not meant to offend anyone.

Do you guys have trouble with deer running after the shot?.... I know that a 50 to 100 yd run is no big deal, but i hunt with several people that use the 270 and almost always when they shoot it' s time to put your tennis shoes on cause they almost always run. Is it the bullet there using or what?

Most use 130gr bullets and have seen em shoot deer in the lung, heart. front shoulder ,and neck.......all of em' run!

Just courious if its just the bullet..........or all the deer they shoot just that darn tough. The others i hunt with very seldom if at all have deer run anywhere or die within sight?.................WHAT' S THE DEAL?
Old 06-17-2003, 08:20 PM

Default RE: 270?

It is VERY unusual for any deer to take a solid hit in the front shoulder or neck to run a long ways. I have never had a deer go more than 10 yards with a .270 Winchester.

Lung shots I can understand. A lung shot deer can cover a pretty good bit of ground before it dies.

It' s possible they are using bullets that fragment excessively and are not reaching the vitals, but that' s really a stretch on deer sized game with a cartridge in that power class.

I do have one friend I used to hunt with that used a 7mm RM and we always had to track each deer he shot. However, that is because he was a lousy shot and often gut shot them or clipped the lungs, shoulder, neck, or even hams.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes even with the best of shots the will to live takes over and a deer will run. I have seen it with 270 Win, 7mm Rem Mag (used to be notorious for that) 30-30 Win, and I am sure it has happened with other cartridges. Often the bullet breaks up in the animal. I have witnessed this with CoreLokts out of a 270 and 7mm Mag. As a matter of fact I thought the 270 was worthless until I discovered Sierra GameKings. I really don' t think that deer run any more after a shot from a 270 than anything else.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:09 PM

Maybe that' s the answer ........the CoreLokt i mean.....that' s what most of them are using.

Some reload though, not sure of Manf. but they are using 130gr boatails.

Not doubting the 270 i just think there using wrong bullet or something. It gets old walking 200 or so yds. through a 4yr old cutover only to find a deer shot in the vitals. Leaves ya wondering ya know. Every now and again you run into a deer that would take a 50.cal and run, but there' s is just too much.

Thx for the info.........
Old 06-17-2003, 09:19 PM

I use a 130 gr Core-Lokt and I' ve had both ends of the spectrum:

a 100 lb doe ran 100 yards on me (double lung hit)

a 150 lb 9pt fell in his tracks (double lung hit)

No science at all to it. Oh, btw, it' s great that I finally
<-----grew some horns.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

It' s been my experience that the .25-06, .257 Rob, .243 class of rifle is far better for deer than the .270, .30-06, 7mm mag class.....they' re just too much gun with too heavy constructed bullets.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

It' s not the bullet or the cartrige. It' s the deer!!

I shot a spike once wth a 30-06 through the right side base of the neck / shoulder and took his shoulder and half of the ribs on the exit side and he ran for about 600 yards all the while leaving a blood trail a blind man could have followed. I have also shot elk with my 270 that dropped within 5 steps. It really depends on the individual animal.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-18-2003, 04:27 AM

i couldn' t picture why i deer would run more than 50yds with both lungs taken out. i would think they would have no air left since every deer ( especially last years ) every time the deer took a step after shot. there was a ton of blood fromt he deer exhailing.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

My vote: it' s the bullet. Bullet perfomance IMO is the key to quick kills. Doesn' t matter if you' re shooting a .243 or a .300. You need a quality bullet.
I had problems a long time ago with the deer running after the shot (with my .280). I switched to handloads using Hornady spire point interlocks....problem solved. Occasionally I' ll get one that runs some distance, but 90% drop on the spot or within a few steps. I would suggest trying a different bullet. Most of the folks I know use either Hornady or Nosler and have great success. There are many choices of ammo with premium bullets available over the counter now. They tend to be more expensive, but IMO they are worth it. The .270 is a fine caliber, and once you find the right bullet to shoot our of it, you' ll be very happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.