Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Is there a way to camo my gun? >

Is there a way to camo my gun?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is there a way to camo my gun?

Old 03-07-2010, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
While the gentleman in your link did a very nice job it is still a painted shotgun.
The link that I provided is actually dipping the gun in a camo film. It is the exact process that professional camo dippers go thru when you send your gun out to them, but in a do it yourself format.
What's wrong with using paint? He's asking for options, and painting is a valid and cost effective option for a permanent camo finish.

On a side note, if you check the link regarding the camo dip kits, you'll find that one kit costs $129 and appears to not be such a simple process. Meaning that, unlike the guys who do it professionally, the average Joe is likely to screw up, which at $129 per kit, and who knows how much effort to fix the mistake, would be a costly proposition.

The Krylon camo paint method will provide as good results, and the 5 cans of paint (auto primer, three camo colors and satin urethane clear coat) will cost around $25, can be found at any hardware or home improvement store, and is enough to do several guns. And if you mess up, you can just paint over the mistake.

Mike
Old 03-07-2010, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

i just bought the sock fer my 11 y/o 223, one goes over the barrel, another over the stock. very effective..i oiled the barrel before puttin it on and it hasnt rusted or anything. also makes it look sharp too. and ya can get different types of patterns fer different seasons. for me i got a BAR in mossy oak break-up and i love it.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

You can camo dip it yourself using a Dip Kit found here http://www.mydipkit.com/

You can find a video of a guy explaining and demonstrating the dipping process here http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1160855
Sweet i might try that! thanks
Old 03-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i just bought the sock fer my 11 y/o 223, one goes over the barrel, another over the stock. very effective..i oiled the barrel before puttin it on and it hasnt rusted or anything. also makes it look sharp too. and ya can get different types of patterns fer different seasons. for me i got a BAR in mossy oak break-up and i love it.
Thats not a bad idea either. I will have to give it a try.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by driftrider
What's wrong with using paint? He's asking for options, and painting is a valid and cost effective option for a permanent camo finish.

On a side note, if you check the link regarding the camo dip kits, you'll find that one kit costs $129 and appears to not be such a simple process. Meaning that, unlike the guys who do it professionally, the average Joe is likely to screw up, which at $129 per kit, and who knows how much effort to fix the mistake, would be a costly proposition.

The Krylon camo paint method will provide as good results, and the 5 cans of paint (auto primer, three camo colors and satin urethane clear coat) will cost around $25, can be found at any hardware or home improvement store, and is enough to do several guns. And if you mess up, you can just paint over the mistake.

Mike
Nothing at all wrong with paint I was just pointing out that the dip kit is not similar to paint as you had referenced earlier.
If you had checked out the video that I linked you would have seen that it is a very easy process that the average joe is more than capable of doing.
Yes, it is more expensive than painting, and yes you will have material left over to complete more than one gun.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing at all wrong with paint I was just pointing out that the dip kit is not similar to paint as you had referenced earlier.
If you had checked out the video that I linked you would have seen that it is a very easy process that the average joe is more than capable of doing.
Yes, it is more expensive than painting, and yes you will have material left over to complete more than one gun.
I was referring to Post #7, which had a link to a page demonstrating the painting of an AR-15. Apparently you were not sure to who's post I was referring, as I was not sure why you were directing your subsequent comments back to me. Now I understand where the confusion originated.

Mike
Old 03-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by driftrider
I was referring to Post #7, which had a link to a page demonstrating the painting of an AR-15. Apparently you were not sure to who's post I was referring, as I was not sure why you were directing your subsequent comments back to me. Now I understand where the confusion originated.

Mike
Yup good old internet confusion. Sorry about that!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

While the gentleman in your link did a very nice job it is still a painted shotgun.
The link that I provided is actually dipping the gun in a camo film. It is the exact process that professional camo dippers go thru when you send your gun out to them, but in a do it yourself format.
custome camo-ing your firearm isn't always about what looks best. it's about making your firearm more personal. it's easy to just dip it in camo if you want a perfect finish. it's much more sentimental and rewarding in my opinion if you take the time and practice to entirely paint it by your own hand and skills. just my opinion tho
Old 03-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

there also a company called camoclad that makes stick on camo for guns boats trucks and other things all you do is stick it on and heat it to set the glue you can also take it off by just heating it agian it protects your gun only need to oil exposed parts ive never used but im gonna try it you can find at macksprairiewings.com or camoclad.com
Old 03-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Widgeonator
custome camo-ing your firearm isn't always about what looks best. it's about making your firearm more personal. it's easy to just dip it in camo if you want a perfect finish. it's much more sentimental and rewarding in my opinion if you take the time and practice to entirely paint it by your own hand and skills. just my opinion tho
Okay thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.