Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Tikka T3 Question >

Tikka T3 Question

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka T3 Question

Old 03-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Spike

Default Tikka T3 Question

Okay so a year ago I got a Tikka T3 Lite for my birthday. Seeing that this was my first brand new gun ever I wanted to wait and save up for a scope. Well that didn't work to well and for Valentines day the "bank" authorized some funds for a scope. Well I ended up getting a Redfield, not Leupold but close.

Anyways I just mounted the scope tonight and I was so excited to go and sight her in this weekend when I noticed a white powder type substance on the bolt...the next thing I see is this....

" />

So is this corrision? Do I need to send this back to Tikka? I have several rifles stored with her in the same location and none of them have this on them or in them.

-Josh
Old 03-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Banned

what does the metal look like underneath it? You sure its not foam from the box? Did you clean it when you first got it?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Spike

Yeah I cleaned it well after I first got it. I am nervous to clean it off, thinking if it comes back Tikka will think it was something I did. So I should just clean it and see if there is pitting under there?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned

What did you clean it with?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Ive never seen corrosion like that except for battery acid. looks like foam to me
Old 03-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Spike

Cleaned with hoppes solvent and used my gun oil from a kit, went lighter on the oil than I normally do but did it right.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

It's blueing salts that didn't get washed out when the gun was going through the blueing process. It's nothing to be alarmed about. It is fairly common on production guns although this is quite a bit. The blueing solution will get into the recess around the "seams" where the barrel meets the receiver and if they don't get flushed out thoroughly you will get this caking. Just get in there with a brusyh and scrub it out.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Spike

Thanks big bulls...where did you learn that?
Old 03-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigbulls
It's blueing salts that didn't get washed out when the gun was going through the blueing process. It's nothing to be alarmed about. It is fairly common on production guns although this is quite a bit. The blueing solution will get into the recess around the "seams" where the barrel meets the receiver and if they don't get flushed out thoroughly you will get this caking. Just get in there with a brusyh and scrub it out.

smartazz.....I'm thinking the entire time this was a stainless gun. Duh!
Old 03-02-2010, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by icp1327
Thanks big bulls...where did you learn that?
At gunsmith school... BB is one of our resident smiths.