HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   painting a stock? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/318181-painting-stock.html)

hurley0816 02-25-2010 12:47 PM

painting a stock?

i have a savage .17 hmr that i was hoping to paint winter camo. anyone know a good paint for synthetic stocks? thanks

jeepkid 02-25-2010 01:04 PM

I used Rustoleum on a few guns...either the Plastic, Textured or Hammered works good for me...

DeerandbearhoG 02-25-2010 01:19 PM

I painted a synthtic stock on a savage w/ black krylon that they make especially for plastic , it was a lightly textured finish but not the heavy rough kind of texured paint. Then i sprayed it w/ a few coats of clear flat coat , it worked good.

Cut'em Jack 02-25-2010 07:41 PM

Say it with Krylon.

DougB. 02-26-2010 02:39 AM

"Spruced up" My Huntsman

Getting a little bored with the overall looks of my black molded stock/stainless steel Huntsman, I decided that it was time for a “makeover” or “facelift”. A little color.

Managing a paint department, I decided that for less than a $20.00 investment, it was time for a little experimenting (company didn’t buy the paint, but, oh well). I purchased aerosol cans of Valspar plastic primer, a “stone look texture” hunter green and finally a satin finish clear coat. They also offer the stone like texture paint in a dark shade of gray, light tan and I believe a taupe color in our store, any of which would look pretty decent in my opinion.

I prepped the stock and forearm first by brush scrubbing with dishwasher soap and VERY hot water followed by two wipe downs of paint thinner/mineral spirits to remove any residual manufacturing residue and oil. Each piece then got two applications of the three aerosols with about 48 hours of dry time in between coats. The stone texture paint does require a clear topcoat to protect it from the elements. All three aerosols are considered interior/exterior grade finishes.

The following pictures are the result of my efforts and I really like the looks when combined with the stainless. The texture also gives me something very easy to hang on to. The pictures don't really do the finish justice. It is a much darker green.

Now....let's see how it holds up!

I might add that I had to "clean up" a couple areas where the forearm pivots against the receiver and I was a little surprised with the finish. Doesn't really harden like you would think an enamel would harden. Remained somewhat...not soft but "grippy". Was rather difficult to remove with my very sharp pocket knife. The completed finish REALLY adheres! It appears as though the finish should flex as the stock/forearm flexes.

DeerandbearhoG 02-26-2010 03:41 PM

Looky good there! is the texture rough on your cheek when you shoot? I love the teloscopic ramrods on those guns, Id like to get one to carry around in my pack since I removed the thimble and rod from my savage. btw what kind of load do you shoot in that?

NITEHAWKJS 02-26-2010 04:05 PM

Looks Great! I was also wondering how the stone texture was your cheek when you shoot it?

DougB. 02-26-2010 04:59 PM

"Spruced Up" Huntsman

You know, the pictures may make it look a lot rougher than it really is. After you get the final coats (I sprayed 2) on the firearm, your cheek does not really feel it at all. It has just enough texture to get a really good grip, easy to handle, but does not effect your cheek at all. Now that I look back, because the Hunter Green is not quite as dark as I thought it might be, I wish that I had used the darker gray. Might have really looked sharp with the stainless!

Forgot to add the load......

Federal 209A primer with the MU plug (got sick of the orange primer carrier and the BLOWBACK!, none now.)
80 grs. of BH209 powder
245 gr. Hornady XTP sabot.
BTW.....that is a Hubbard rod that I ordered.

Fun gun!