Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
what scope?? >

what scope??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what scope??

Old 02-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Banned

Didn't I see that gun on Snipers Hide?
Old 02-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Spike

nope. not part of that forum
Old 02-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

"real experience".......................WHAT !?!?

Jack O'Connor himself killed big game animals at over 300 yards, and other masters like Bob Hagel, Warren Page, Elmer Keith, Pete Brown, Francis Sell, and Townsend Whelen did likewise.

Last edited by Sheridan; 02-24-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:46 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by JAEGER-BUCK
As for my suggestions, leupold mark 4 or nightforce.
Great choices.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Questions like this one simply make me cringe. We have no idea what the original poster's experience is. All we know is ".300 Ultra Mag" and "out to 700 yards" - asked on an online forum.

Though there's no question in my mind that guys like RR do this as a matter of routine, they talk in a language most average hunters don't have time or patience to learn. I'd venture a guess here that they're not parking their rifle at the end of the season and then sending a couple of sighters downrange at the beginning of the next season? Guys I know who do this kind of stuff do it almost year-round, it's their passion.

We can't tell any of that from the original post. While it's not safe to assume complete inexperience, it's not safe either to credit or grant benefit of the doubt that the original poster has sufficient experience and resources to be a credible long-range hunter, PARTICULARLY when the question is asked on a non-long-range hunting, generic by all other descriptions, online forum.

So, my recommendation would also be to seek advice on a forum more dedicated to this type of hunting. I'm probably pretty average here in terms of ability. Like many here, I'll probably cast a suspicious eye toward anyone claiming to make routine shots on big game at over 400 yards (not to say that some don't do just that). I've been tempted at times to take shots farther out than what I practice at. I've seen the big-game version of waterfowling's "sky buster" shoot at game at ranges well beyond their experience level. I've overheard conversations at the gun counter that make me wonder which magazine article brought the potential buyer there and whether they've otherwise spent any time in the field. I think most of us here have experienced some of those things.

Becoming a long-range hunter is more than which rifle and scope. I'm certain you'll find that out on a board more dedicated to it.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

Poeple can name off all kinds of scopes they like. Just buy the best one that you can afford. The reason I say the best you can afford is that a scope that is not lined up and able to hold the line is no good. If you get a scope and get it sighted in good and it will hold. Then you have a good scope. You will be able to hit what you shoot at.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:04 AM
Banned

So the OP disappears.....another topic to generate chatter
Old 02-25-2010, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
"real experience".......................WHAT !?!?

Jack O'Connor himself killed big game animals at over 300 yards, and other masters like Bob Hagel, Warren Page, Elmer Keith, Pete Brown, Francis Sell, and Townsend Whelen did likewise.
Plenty of people here and elsewhere consistently kill animals far beyond 300 yards, which is a chip shot for them. It is simply ignorant to look something up like this on Google and pretend it is relevant. If you do not have the experience to understand this, it's a good chance to sit back and LEARN.

Besides, those folks died before laser rangefinders, now the mainstay of long range shooting, were invented. Do yourself a favor and lurk longrangehunting.com before you try to comment on such things.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

You got to start somewhere and i'll bet you even ridge runner has asked this question before he got into long range hunting.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Spaniel,

Explain this to me again.

I don’t know what I’m talking about, because I referenced these legends, and you are now one of the “new” names I will find listed in the annals of history going forward.

Do I have that right ?

Or these guys just didn't have rangefinders ?

This is not a criticism of you, just the way you present your points.

Last edited by Sheridan; 02-25-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.