Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Redfield Scopes >

Redfield Scopes

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Redfield Scopes

Old 02-23-2010, 06:08 AM
Banned

Default Redfield Scopes

Has anyone beat the snot out of one yet?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

The Redfield name has been around a long time. Some where very good, others pure junk.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Apparently, the new Leupy ones are pretty good.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I assume you are talking about the newer ones? If so I wouldn't buy one and I will tell you why. First off after owning Leupold VX-I's I was very dissapointed and am highly unlikely to buy another Leupold unless I get an amazing deal on it. The only positive thing I could find about that scope is Leupolds customer service is good. At the same time I don't care how nice they are to you when the scopes I had kept acting up.
So hearing the Redfields were a step below the VX-I I really wondered how this scope was.

Then I started reading reviews. Here is one from Optics Talk where they compare several scopes in that price range.
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=21176

Not only was it not as clear as others like the Vortex or Burris tested but it also shifted the POI at different magnification levels. This is one thing I don't want a scope to do. I thought well, maybe he got a bad one.

Then I read the Redfield thread on THR and member Snakum says his is also doing this. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...light=redfield

After reading two reports of it doing that It's starting to seem like it's just an issue with them. My opinions of Leupold aside I wouldn't buy one due to this issue. That coupled with the fact I've had so many issues with the VX-I's I would not even consider buying one.

I did read a good review on 24 hour campfire of these scopes but that's about it. I've not seen many reviews and two of them have complained of this POI change.

I'd spend the extra and get a Burris Fullfield II or Vortex Diamondback like suggested in that Optic Talks thread. Or for a little more a Nikon Team Primos.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Leupold is a brand like Bushnell, their higher-end scopes are good and good value but I would not touch the low-end ones with a 10ft pole. Redfield is a low-end Leupold scope.

Do not confuse anything sold under the Redfield name today with anything sold under that name years ago. The company folded, and the brand name was simply sold to Leupold. Other than those 8 letters, old and new Redfield products have absolutely nothing in common.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Banned

So no one's ever actually used one?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

No and don't plan to. No reason to use one when the few that have used them have reported that there have indicated or made it obvious that there are much better scopes out there in their price range. I'm not going to try one out to see if others reviews of issues are true or not when I can spend the money and not much more and get something that's tried and proven that I know I wont have issues with.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Banned

So a bunch of jaw flappin and guessin...
Old 02-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vabyrd
So a bunch of jaw flappin and guessin...
Well, two out of the three reviews of people that have used them have had an issue. So why would I use one? Their user experiences are good enough for me. It's kind of like the Prostaff thread here. You have guys that say they only use them and they are the best. Yet others who have used other scopes in that price range say they aren't as good as the others. So why would I try them? I'm not going to.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Bought a late '70's Redfield Widefield 3x9x40 and put it on my 30-06 in 1983. In 2009 I took it off after it would not hold zero. It lived on my gun for 26 years and seen some use so I guess I beat the snot out of it. Any scope that lasts a quarter century is reliable in my opinion. As mentioned the older Redfields were quality until the company imploded then the quality went downhill. The new ones can't be compared to the old ones. I also agree that the new Redfield is one step below the VX-I which I also would not buy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.