Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Redfield Scopes

Old 02-24-2010, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

So, Vabyrd, what's wrong with jaw flappin' and guessin"? The OP asked for such. What was your reason for posting?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rozman62
Bought a late '70's Redfield Widefield 3x9x40 and put it on my 30-06 in 1983. In 2009 I took it off after it would not hold zero. It lived on my gun for 26 years and seen some use so I guess I beat the snot out of it. Any scope that lasts a quarter century is reliable in my opinion. As mentioned the older Redfields were quality until the company imploded then the quality went downhill. The new ones can't be compared to the old ones. I also agree that the new Redfield is one step below the VX-I which I also would not buy.

Friend of mine has one on a pre 64 model 70 that his grandpa gave him that thing is a bit older than 70 I think but it as well has had its share of abuse and still holds well
Old 02-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why anyone would buy a scope that's touted as being one step below a VX-I is beyond me.

Tom
Old 02-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by statjunk
Why anyone would buy a scope that's touted as being one step below a VX-I is beyond me.

Tom
I don't know why anyone would be one step below a VxII...
Old 02-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by spaniel
Leupold is a brand like Bushnell, their higher-end scopes are good and good value but I would not touch the low-end ones with a 10ft pole. Redfield is a low-end Leupold scope.
I don't know about that...I've had a Bushnell Banner ($79.99) on my .270 for about 12 years without a bit of trouble. Its very clear, doesn't change POI at all, and has been used in 100 degree heat and 10 degree snow and has never fogged up a bit...I could go out and get a Zeiss for it if I wanted, but whats the point? If it aint broke don't fix it.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
I don't know about that...I've had a Bushnell Banner ($79.99) on my .270 for about 12 years without a bit of trouble. Its very clear, doesn't change POI at all, and has been used in 100 degree heat and 10 degree snow and has never fogged up a bit...I could go out and get a Zeiss for it if I wanted, but whats the point? If it aint broke don't fix it.
I agree the Bushnell Scopes are excellent for 99% of hunting/shooting. However, optical clarity just isn't there. I've owned two of the dusk till dawn scopes and never had issue with either. But I moved on anyway.

I just bought another Bushnell Banner and put it on a Marlin Guide gun. I'll let the board know if it holds up to the recoil.

As for VXII's I'm honestly not all that impressed.

Tom
Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cut'em Jack
So no one's ever actually used one?
The new release of Redfield is only about 1month old.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Probably not the type you are asking about but I have a Tracker that is over 40 years old and still holds zero perfectly and kills deer every year.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Jeep kid if you can afford a zeiss go buy one better yet treat yourself all the way and buy a Schmit & Bender. Those cheep optics will cost you maybe the deer of your life time at low light. Its worth it. They all look somewhat clear during the day.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by gonewest
Jeep kid if you can afford a zeiss go buy one better yet treat yourself all the way and buy a Schmit & Bender. Those cheep optics will cost you maybe the deer of your life time at low light. Its worth it. They all look somewhat clear during the day.
Well its a 1948 vintage Remmy 721 that doesn't get out of the safe much anymore...but maybe if I start using it again...and it was my first deer rifle so I kinda want to keep it how I got it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.