HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   need rifle purchase advice please (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/317883-need-rifle-purchase-advice-please.html)

dischNoutTAspd 02-21-2010 02:29 PM

need rifle purchase advice please

I am by no means a newbie when it comes to rifles . I've been hunting for about ten years , and I am prepared to make my first serious rifle purchase. I've been borrowing rifles and using diff. guns for ten years , but am ready to make my first real rifle purchase. I have been doing research for about six months on what to buy and am seriously eying the Tikka T3 prob in .308 . I own one other rifle, and its the (terrible ) Remington 770 .270. Basically before I make a 600$ rifle purchase , id like to hear from experienced users if the Tikka is worth my while, or if there is something Im over looking. I really like the accuracy pitch, the free floating barrel, and the great trigger along with an amazing smooth bolt. I've held one in my hands I just want to know if im getting my money's worth. My budget (including a new scope is 1000$) . sorry for the long thread.. just need advice.

MO-KS_hunter 02-21-2010 03:31 PM

I don't know from personal experience but I've done a little research on the Tikka T3 rifle and it seems to be a pretty solid gun for the price.

The first rifle I purchased was a Ruger M77 Mk II in .270 caliber topped with a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 scope. I paid $399 bucks for the rifle (on sales at Dicks) and recieved the scope as a Christmas present (it retailed for $220 at the time). It was an excellent rifle and I killed a couple dozen deer with it. The only complaint I had was it's trigger which I fixed with an aftermarket job. The new Ruger M77 hawkeye apparently has a much better trigger than the Mk II version.

Whatever you get, purchase a good pair of scope rings and a decent scope and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you buy :wink:.

Good Luck!

salukipv1 02-21-2010 03:35 PM

check out ER Shaw rifles...basically a savage rifle with an ershaw barrel...is my understanding.

Savage...
HS...
Hill Country...
ER Shaw...

dischNoutTAspd 02-21-2010 03:57 PM

^ im not a huge fan of the accutrigger on the Savage Rifle, and im unfimilair with "er shaw rifles"

salukipv1 02-21-2010 04:26 PM

what dont you like about the accutrigger? the look? or something functional? I've heard good things...

rhans53 02-21-2010 05:10 PM

tikka rifles, yep they shoot very good at least the 2 I had did. I didn't care for the way they felt and the way the straight stock nailed you when you pulled the trigger. If you notice I said that I had them, don't any more. Replaced the 338 fed with a sako 85, and the 6.5 x 55 I haven't had any desire to replace. The last rifle I just purchased was a ruger 77 in 358 win (yes I reload). The trigger could be better, the stock could have a touch of palm swell and a little cant but it's a solid rifle and shoots well.

dischNoutTAspd 02-21-2010 05:24 PM

i dont like that you have to squeeze the "accu" part of the trigger before you begin to squeeze the "trigger" trigger. I dont like a two step process to firing a firearm . IDK, im traditional i suppose

dischNoutTAspd 02-21-2010 05:25 PM

"rhans", are you trying to say that the Tikka is overpriced / over hyped?

jerry d 02-21-2010 05:27 PM

The Tikka in 308 is not a true short action rifle.I don't know if that matters to you.When I was looking @ rifles last year I also was interested in the Tikka but bought a rem 700 instead.

savage3006 02-21-2010 05:32 PM

It really depends what you want to do with your rifle. What are you hunting and where? Personally I like a relatively cheap rifle that I am not afraid to scratch as long as I get the accuracy I need. I hunt very thick woods and the equipment takes a beating. I like my Savage but I looked into the Tikka. I think the Tikka was a nicer rifle. Stock was better than the Savage plasticware but I ended up with the Savage.
If you have a $1000 budget, you are likely to spend at least $300-$400 on the scope and possibly another $100 on the mount and rings if you get high quality steel rings and mount.