Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Has anyone purchased one of the package Savage rifles? >

Has anyone purchased one of the package Savage rifles?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: Did your Simmons Blazer scope fail on you?
No, it still works fine
41.18%
Yes, reticle came loose
17.65%
I replaced it with another scope because it wasn't very clear
29.41%
Yes, it wont hold zero
11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Has anyone purchased one of the package Savage rifles?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by spaniel
I bought a package Model 11 in 243 Win. I have no idea what it would have done out-of-the-box, I had no interest in the crappy scope and rings.

What I can say is you get a good price for a decent barrel and action. I replaced the scope,bases, trigger and stock and had a .5-.75MOA shooter with handloads. Came out cheaper than buying a Rem700 capable of that, and could have done it cheaper had I not gone for the stainless. If you don't mind blued steel, you can do this even cheaper with a Stevens 200.

For the average shooter shooting 200 yds or less, the package guns are a sound and cheap way to get into the game. Upgrading the scope/rings is an easy first move.
You didn't like the accu trigger? Or did you have a non accu trigger model?
Old 02-19-2010, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
You didn't like the accu trigger? Or did you have a non accu trigger model?
It was non-accutrigger. All the package guns where I bought mine were non-accutrigger.

I put a Rifle Basix in it, it was worth every penny. Probably the nicest trigger I own now.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default hmmm

Well these must be older package deals, because now Savage uses Bushnell on their package rifles. Mind you thier definately not "top of the Line" Bushnells, but until I have a problem with it, it stays where it is!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Flippinstk
Well these must be older package deals, because now Savage uses Bushnell on their package rifles. Mind you thier definately not "top of the Line" Bushnells, but until I have a problem with it, it stays where it is!
Not sure. All of the Walmarts I've seen these package guns at have Simmons scopes on them. I also looked at them at both Bass Pro and a local gun shop and both came topped with Simmons Blazer scopes. Maybe different stores use different scopes. I'm not sure.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Banned

You cant polish a turd.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 AM
Spike

Going along with the Savage package deals i bought a Stevens model 200 this past year which is made by savage and is essentially the same just a different stock composition. It is chambered in .270 and i have been very happy with it. As far as optics are concerned I have no idea as to what the scope is. It is not labeled but if i remember correctly it was sport optics or something to that effect. Expecting to put a new scope on after a while i went ahead and paid the 15 dollar difference in the price from a bare rifle to a scoped rifle that was on sale. To my suprise out of the box with notweaking it was shooting around 4 inch groups at 100 yards. So needless to say ive kept it on there and took a nice buck with it. Overall im very happy with it I realize this may not have been what you were looking for but i thought since its the lower end of the economy scale of their firearms a little insight might help.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Spike

I bought the package deal in 338mag with a 3x9 bushnell scope. It did last longer than expected (4 shots). Aftern the 4th shot focus was gone. Kind of had the feeling that would happen but tryed it anyway as i knew better optics were going on it. Overall the price on the package was still cheaper than buying the gun all by itself so never lost nothing.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Spike

Of course i used my 270 "package" gun for 4 seasons and beat it up pretty good before the elevation turret came loose and i replaced the scope with a bushnell elite 3200 3-9x40mm, never looked back. The clarity sucked but me and my brother killed more game with that gun than i care to mention.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Got 2 a while back (3 or 4 months) with bushnells on them. Clarity was decent the 1st one is still going after probably 200-250 shoots, the other lasted less than 20 and the insides came apart like I've never seen. The scopes have a forever warranty but 10 bucks to ship it to bushnell, 10 or 15 for handling charges on their end, doesn't make any since to mess with them.