Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Has anyone purchased one of the package Savage rifles? >

Has anyone purchased one of the package Savage rifles?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: Did your Simmons Blazer scope fail on you?
No, it still works fine
41.18%
Yes, reticle came loose
17.65%
I replaced it with another scope because it wasn't very clear
29.41%
Yes, it wont hold zero
11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Has anyone purchased one of the package Savage rifles?

Old 02-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I won one of these Savage packages at a club dinner (door prize). It was a cheaply made rifle with a really bad scope. I sold it to a guy that I didn't like.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Spike

Couldnt take a shot at dusk due to the scope, could see better with the naked eye.
Deer hoped the fence never to be seen by me.
Got back to camp, borrowed and allen wrench , took the scope off , stepped outside and tossed that SOB as far as I could into the adjacent field.
Hopefully when they tilled the field that piece of just got what it deserved.

Life's too short for crappy optics , and can cost more in the long run ,never again.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Banned

Don't like Salvaginas and I heard the testicles on a Simmons may come loose...
Old 02-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vabyrd
Don't like Salvaginas and I heard the testicles on a Simmons may come loose...
So did you actually have one fail or just heard they do?
Old 02-14-2010, 03:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

i had a simmons fail....but it was a different scope...

but, after that season, wounding and never finding 2 deer and missing one completely, i learned my lesson about quality scopes...

buy a used rifle in nice shape..grab a used leupold vari-x II or vx-II on ebay and you'll have a budget deer killin machine...

took me a couple lawns to buy my first leupold when i was 15...now i got 2 on both my centerfires...and i'll have a 3rd for my newest addition before the fall...

theres some decent glass on the market cheaper than Leupold...but leupold has a heck of a reputation and amazing customer service...anything is wrong with a leupold, new or 20 years old, send it back...if its old and they cant repair it to new, they will send you a new model that is comparable...cant beat it...

nothing agains guys not wanting to spend a fortune on a hunting rifle....but, ive learned you'll save money buying quality...you can pick up a used rifle and quality scope and be much happier in the end...and not have to learn the lesson the hard way about quality scopes like i did...

messed me up so bad that season i quit deer hunting...thats how we found the scope was broke...gave it to dad to have it mounted on a slug gun..the smith mounting the scope found that when the scope magnification was adjusted, the crosshairs moved...never knew where it would move and it never moved back to the scope zero...but if left alone on the same power, it would sight in fine...
Old 02-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bought a package deal with a Simmons 8 Pt. on it. I did use it for one season, with no problems. I took it off after that though, BEFORE it could fail me in the field!
The only other Simmons scope I have had was a Aetec. It lasted about 5 seasons before crashing. Simmons (Meade) has horrible customer service! It took at least 6 months to get in touch with them, supposedly because they were moving their operations from Florida to California. It took at least 3 more months to get a replacement. They did finally send me a brand new Master Series Aetec. I have it on a gun that I don't use much and will probably replace it anyway, before it breaks!
Simmons and Trashco's are JUNK!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Got a savage 116 combo stainless steel rifle - with a simmons scope( it dosnt say what model i dont think) for $250 marked down at walmart.

But that scope wasnt to clear from the start- so i put it on a old 22. rifle. Still works.

REplaced it with a 4X12 $40 simmons- so far it works as intended(about 10 yrs) Is it as clear as my soninlaws $800 scope- nope. But im not going around complaining i have no money either like him.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:24 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a 111 package a couple of years ago chambered in 30-06. The scope was junk so I replaced it with a Nikon and I also put a solid mount (picatiny style). It is a very accurate rifle. I always take it for deer hunting in the thick woods of Maine.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Spike

Ten years ago I bought a 111 combo w/ a Simmons (traded in a fouled 30-30 and paid $150 for the rifle). Every "bump" knocked the scope off POI. Put a Leopold VariX-II 3x9 40mm on it the following year and have been spot-on since then. It's been 10 yrs and the this combo has been a dream. It's not the rifle, it's the ****e optics.
By the way, IMHO, this rifle has a 'smoother' trigger than my father's 1 yr old rem. 700.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a package Model 11 in 243 Win. I have no idea what it would have done out-of-the-box, I had no interest in the crappy scope and rings.

What I can say is you get a good price for a decent barrel and action. I replaced the scope,bases, trigger and stock and had a .5-.75MOA shooter with handloads. Came out cheaper than buying a Rem700 capable of that, and could have done it cheaper had I not gone for the stainless. If you don't mind blued steel, you can do this even cheaper with a Stevens 200.

For the average shooter shooting 200 yds or less, the package guns are a sound and cheap way to get into the game. Upgrading the scope/rings is an easy first move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.