HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   getting a barrel lapped (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/316640-getting-barrel-lapped.html)

treboryerf 02-04-2010 06:43 PM

getting a barrel lapped

what does getting a barrel lapped consist of and where would you get it done at,and how much would it cost and will it really improve the accuracy that much.Not trying to be a smartass,I really don't know what you guys mean when you say get the barrel lapped.

Sheridan 02-04-2010 07:54 PM

Like running your hand over a piece of wood that appears smooth until you touch it.

The rifling inside your barrel is like that piece of wood, not only could it be smoother, but it also will collect more fouling, if left alone.

The top two (proven) least expensive techiques which improve accurarcy the most are barrel lapping and trigger jobs.

Studies with the same rifles (using the same everything) with groups measured before and after each application have proven results.

mauser06 02-04-2010 08:59 PM

typically done by using a compound on a patch and running it through the bore multiple times....sometimes different "grit" compound is used etc....

the compound is somewhat abrasive and polishes the bore...

i think im going to have my new rifle done...especially after running patches through it today and seeing the metal filing i got out with just patches!

it should also shorten the break in period of a new rifle and help the bore "settle down" quicker...

only reason i'm taking mine to get done is because the smith gotta do a bit of work for me...going to have him mount the scope, put sling studs on, and see if he cant do much with the trigger...and lap the barrel for me...

Frank in the Laurel 02-05-2010 04:40 AM

I had a friend who used the shoot the diamond dust down the barrel method... he ruined the barrel in about 5 shots.. it was clean and smooth alright..it looked like a shotgun for about the first 6 inches... if your going to actually do it and if it's a factory barrel I wouldn't waste my time, then do it sparingly as in very sparingly...I would only use the JB paste method and only a little bit..maybe just shooting it will smooth out a problem area over time....just be careful especially if you just spent $500+ for a custom chamber and barrel...

treboryerf 02-05-2010 05:17 PM

I just got a browning a-bolt white gold medaleon 300 mag for x-mas,26" ss barrel do yall think I should have it done and do I take it to a gunsmith?

dylan_b 02-05-2010 05:58 PM

well there are several ways smiths do it. the most common is where a special rod with a lead blank (look like a little lead bullet with driving bands) is ran through the barrel with a polishing compound. this way works well because the lead takes the form of the rifling. aftermarket barrels that get a lapping are slugged (lead is poored down the barrel) and then the lapping compound is applied. this way produces the best results but is hard to do. these ways are forms of hard lapping, lapping where the material holding the compound is near the same hardness as the material being lapped. soft lapping is where something like a clothe, rubber blank or clay is used in palce of a harder material and is done basicaly the same way.

if your barrel is already broken in it might not benefit from a lapping, it might actualy reduce accuracy. things like muzzleloaders or shotguns can be lapped without loosing accuracy because the projectile expands to the rifling rather then being engraved. soft lapping can be done at home with jb bore bright, which is the finest rifle barrel specific lapping compound being made and it rarely ever decreases accuracy but it takes some time for it to increase accuracy. it is used on a patch and ran though the barrel for about 120 passes through. you can use it about once a month but its best to only use it every 20 shots when the barrel is being broken in

dylan_b 02-05-2010 06:10 PM

forgot to mention in the last post to never lap a factory barrel before its broken in. a smith could do it right but dont do it yourself. the bullet has to decide how a barrel breaks in, not a patch with some compound. if you polish the high spots and ruff spots in a barrel they might never go away with during the break in.

mauser06 02-05-2010 07:52 PM

i still think im taking mine to a smith to be lapped...

its never been fired and the metal filings i got out with a oil patch scare me...1 bullet and 1 of them filings can ruin the bore forever...

only my 2nd NEW rifle...my 22-250 i dont remember any metal coming out like this one...but, it took about 200rds before the bore settled down and accuracy was consistent...

i just rather spend the extra money to ensure its done right and ready to be fired...and its gotta goto the smith to have some other stuff done before i fire it...id like the trigger worked best as it can be...and scope mounted and bore sighted and rear sling stud needs drilled...gunna do this rifle right and not booger it up myself lol

Sheridan 02-05-2010 08:58 PM

Mauser,

Good call.....................worth every penny

Tigger pull @ 3lbs for hunting rifles.

last you a lifetime !!!