Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 1000yrd choice to make >

1000yrd choice to make

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

1000yrd choice to make

Old 06-16-2003, 12:10 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: 1000yrd choice to make

I don' t know guys, I am struggling to shoot 6" at 500 yards. This wind just kills my shooting. Or my velocity variations. But it sure is fun trying.

Old 06-16-2003, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just which Military Group are you refering to?
If I am not mistaken the Canadians were experimenting with the 338. I never heard anything about us using it.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:52 PM

You are right Frizz,

USMC or ARMY have not and probably will not ever use the 338 caliber.
The Canadians, well they may be using the caliber, I wish them well with it.

Bigcountry,

All of us here hate that wind!!!!!! lol
It may be fun for cilivians to try to hit 500, but with us it is a life or death situation.
So many people BS that they made a head shot at a certain range but cannot tell me what the standard doping of the rifle before engaging the enemy(Mark).

The wind is the key to success. What helps us is that we are using a newer technology ammo. Those match grade bullets are AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Less drag, more ft/lbs and even drops less that anything we have shot at before.

When this ammo hits the cilivian market, everyone will have to change their specs for this round.
Can I tell you what this ammo is.......NO!

Big country, if memory serves me right ..was you an Army sniper before???????

But shooting at 500 with a MOA OF 6" IS NOT ALL THAT BAD!
Do you use a BDC when shooting that far?

MSGT GHILLIEMAN
Greg
Old 06-16-2003, 04:22 PM
bigcountry

Nope, bud your way over estimating me. Just a guy that has nothing better to do than playing around with his reloading gear. A bunch of my friends here work for the state and gov. around here are snipers and ex snipers, and got me into this craziness.

I don' t use a BDC. Can' t really understand the price difference in the M1 scopes with them. Maybe, if I was in your case. I use regular Burris Bases and inserts to make sure my adjustment has enough. Right now, I only have to adjust 7.25MOA to reach that far, so not much adjustment is needed. Was hanging around some of the guys at Quantico, and feel a little inadequate for 1000 yard shooting. But on a calm day 6" groups at 500 yards are good for me. I figured after I get a little better at my velocity std Dev. , I can move up to 800 yards. But I am getting vertical stringing. Thanks for the information.

Old 06-16-2003, 06:00 PM

i suggest waiting to buy the gun..save up and get the sako trg-21 in a 308. cal.. its a really nice sniper rifle... or also look into the trg22,41,42
Old 06-16-2003, 08:25 PM
Typical Buck

If you really want a challenge buy a Black Powder Cartridge Rifle.
You can get a very good rifle with sights for less than $1000 and then work up.
If you want to learn how to dupe the wind and mirage try the BPCR game.

Nothing like sending over an ounce of lead down range at 1200 fps(MV) and hit what your are aiming at.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sarge Ghillieman, yes, I do know how far 1000yrds is, I have a private range that spans 1200, and I' ve used every inch of it on some occasions, but it was at very large targets, 5MOA usually, I usually hit at 3.25-4.0MOA at 1000yrds with my pure factory Ruger M-77 standard .30-06, I just want something that I can get better accuracy from, and then designate it my ' target rifle' , and all that that entails.

Like I said, I really like the M-1A, I know that they are capable of great accuracy in NM versions, obviously I' d want better than my stock Ruger' s accuracy even from an autoloader, but I think at the moment I prefer the type of competition that the autoloaders are involved in. Basically I' d want an auto that could excell at the competitions, but then still be able to go out and fling lead down range as far as anyone should and know what it' s hitting. If I have to go with a bolt to get much better accuracy, then I will, but like I said, I prefer the auto competitions.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Spike

Nomercy
Did I read your post right. You can put with your stock 30-06 5 round groups @ 1000 yards in 4" or less. If so that is a rare factory rifle. What scope is on it?
Old 06-17-2003, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

3.5- 4 MOA at 1000 yards = approximately 40 inch groups Not bad for 1000 yards notwithstanding.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doug, briman pointed it out, but I get 3.25-4MOA (rough MOA=1" /100yrds, as opposed to the actual 1.047" /100yrds, like it should be) at 1000yrds, not 3.25-4" I have targets that I built from 1/2" steel, mount paper over it to show impacts, like I said, I have some that are very large, one is 7' x7' , most I use often are 4' x4' , like I said, it' s good for my rifle since it' s only at 4MOA out there.

Yes, it' s a pure stock Ruger standard Mark II M-77 .30-06 (handloads of course), guess I just got lucky when I bought it, b/c I never saw it shoot until I had it home. The best I' ve shot with it was with a 6-25x or 9-25x, whatever it was, sold it for more than I bought it for, so I don' t have it anymore, leupold of course, what' s on it now is my old tasco high country 4-16x42mm, I know tasco' s aren' t worth anything anymore, but I bought it so long ago, it was back when they still made things worth anything, it' s not fog-proof, moisture proof, water proof glare proof etc, but in all the time I' ve had it, it' s never faded zero, and focuses where it says it is.

Quick Reply: 1000yrd choice to make

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.