Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
barrel break-in??? >

barrel break-in???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

barrel break-in???

Old 01-27-2010, 12:37 PM
Spike

Default barrel break-in???

Is it necessary to break-in a new barrel? Never heard of doing it before but have seen a few articles on it and looking for some opinions.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

recently read or saw something on this...

guy said he shots once, cleans, shoots twice, cleans, shoots 3x, cleans, all the way up to 10x, then he's done, said its prob not the pro's method/best, but much better than nothing....wish i read/knew this sooner?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

There are many different ways to break in a barrel, and if you ask a few different people if it works, you'll get different answers. I do "break in" all my new rifles, by shoot once, and then clean for the first ten shots. Then shoot five shots and clean the barrel. I do that a few times depending on how much time I have. I don't know if this improves accuracy, but it sure won't hurt. I have old guns that shoot really accurate too, and I know they did not go through a break in process. Bench rest shooters break in barrels religiously, so there has to be some good reason for they do it.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

There are also a lot of products out there to help with the break in process. Bore creams and paste. Tubbs also has a system to break in you new barrel.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Typical Buck

On a factory tube,before firing a shot, I"ll use JB's on a tight fitting patch for 30-50 strokes, flush it and shoot and continue to shoot until accuracy falls off .Factory barrels are not lapped so it's my opinion this will take some of the roughness out.

On my rifles that have high quality barrels, I'll do nothing but shoot em and shoot em somemore until accuracy falls off.

your milage will vary
Old 01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

This is my understanding of barrel break in. Basically your barrel was machined, as with all machined items, there are small spurs and imperfections inside your barrel. The idea is you shoot a round, and it starts to loosen those spurs or breaks them off. So you clean your barrel to get those out because they are in fact steel, and you don't want your next bullet pushing that spur down the barrel and maybe making small gouges in your barrel. You repeat this essentially as much as you have patience for.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is what one side says;

http://www.rifle-accuracy-reports.co...-break-in.html

The other side says; throw it on the ground a few times (then they pick up the rifle and hit a target at 600 yards).
Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Sheridan
The other side says; throw it on the ground a few times (then they pick up the rifle and hit a target at 600 yards).
You realise that was your best buddy relentless pursuit who made that video.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Opinions on the worthiness of this procedure are varied. There are some people on this forum whose opinions and knowledge I value highly who differ among themselves about it.
.......Personally, I started doing barrel break-in on both factory and custom barrels more than a few years ago, and I believe in it's merit. I'll continue to use it.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Dominant Buck

http://www.youtube.com/v/WjbnYm_HmXg&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.